Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:18 PM   #11

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's lots of times I want to use fill flash (my by is very shady) but when I try to the shutter speed comes down to 1/60th or so.
You will be able to get whatever shutter you want using the 420 flash as long as you are in shutter priority mode (TV) or full manual mode (M) on your camera. If you have the Rebel your maximum sync speed is 1/200th unless, on the 420, you switch to high speed sync (switch on the right with the lightning bolt). In high speed sync you can set higher shutters in TV and M modes, no problem. However, in high speed mode your flash will not be as strong as if you were in normal mode at 1/200th.

Your problem is that you are probably in program (P) mode which automatically sets both shutter and aperture, just like automatic mode. Get far away from P mode when shooting birds in flight, you will need higher shutters.

Good luck!
Normcar, I think I figured that out just awhile ago. It was dark when I got home from work so I went out in the b.y. to practice with the flash. I was thinking that when you turned up the shutter speed and the Aperture started blinking you had to turn it back down till it stopped. Not so. I took some shots of tree limbs and leaves etc using 1/160th and 200 at 5.6, came in and unloaded them and they looked fine to me. I also noticed that you couldn't get up faster than 200 and you have explained that above. So, I'm on my way to some better shots hopefully. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out with this.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:50 PM   #12

Quote:
I was thinking that when you turned up the shutter speed and the Aperture started blinking you had to turn it back down till it stopped. Not so.
Indeed you should pay attention to that blinking if you are not on flash as that indicates that without assistance you are not going to get enough light. However, the flash comes to the rescue. The best way is to take a photo and check your histogram incamera at the "info" button to see what things look like. With the Rebel don't rely on the LCD as I've found it to be difficult to adjust properly in the menu. The histogram will give you a good idea on exposure, though.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:23 AM   #13

I agree with Norm on the histogram and LCD use. I found that the LCD image
is only usefull to tell you if you got a shot or not. As far as quality of exposure,
it is pretty much useless, except for the histogram feature.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote