Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:15 PM   #1

Saw this one when I arrived at the park. He/she got spooked as I tried to approach. After flying for a while it landed on the other side of the lake. Luckily there is a parking lot right next to the tree on which he/she decided to perch. I drove slowly and never got out of the car. I was able to take 10-15 shots.

All shots taken hand held with 1.4x TC on 100-400L. I need to buy a bean bag but I am happy with the 1.4x performance. Wish I had the 500F4.

The first shotis without the TC.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:25 PM   #2

Nice.
Bobbyz,
I have to travel about 65 miles East to Lake Almanor to see Osprey's.
Beautiful close shots. Really excellent.
We have the crummy Valley fog today or I would be out taken pictures. Actually I almost (yeah I know woulda, shoulda, coulda,) got a nice closeup of a Northern Harrier sitting on a snag on the ground. But when I stopped the car to take the picture. Off he went. Anyway you have some super shots there.
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

Thanks smac. We got the clouds again. Hope tomorrow is better. I didn't want to spook this guy so I took the shots with 1.4x TC and slowly put my car in the right spot. This is the first time I got lukcy as most of the times, they fly even before I pick up my lens.

Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:37 PM   #4

Yeah, well, great job.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:26 PM   #5

Excellent photos, bobby, it appears that your car blind worked great today. I love that popped out eyeball on the top one and you caught his glide perfectly. The underside of the wings are ever so slightly dark; did you use flash? You got the Beamer today, right? The bottom two are super photos, classic poses, and color and exposure look great.Background color is perfect and eye definition is to die for. My only suggestion would be a very slight touch more USM, but the USM thing is highly subjective so let's just say overall perfect job today.

PS - thanks for filling out my previous order wonderfully.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:57 PM   #6

Thanks Normcar. Yes, I got the beamer yesterday but didn't had it on my flash. I will remember to keep it on from now on.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:19 PM   #7

BobbyZ, you certainly seem to have some great bird watching opportunities from what I have seen of your many photos, these like most of yours are very nice shots.

I also took a look at the Hawk shots in the other post, I love the in flight shots. Such a magnificent bird, the closest I have seen to this is a Wedgetail eagle on my country courier run who flew in front of my vehicle and dropped his prey on my windscreen which scared the heck out of me, all I could see were those huge claws:-)One day i hope to get a shot of one of them to post in here.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:29 AM   #8

really good clean shots!! I would have been a little worried about the first
shot. He looks like he is really eyeing you up as a meal!!!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:16 AM   #9

woodmeister wrote:
Quote:
really good clean shots!! I would have been a little worried about the first
shot. He looks like he is really eyeing you up as a meal!!!
:lol:Well, unless Bobby is the smallest of midgets I don't think he'll have to worry! :lol:

Great shots, bobby! Like Norm, I also noticed immediately that great gaze from the osprey in the first photo. I'd be more than satisfied with these, especially given that you were handholding the longer lens with a 1.4x on it!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote