Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:25 PM   #1

Normcar, here you go. I had 1.4x TC on, hand held. Bad thing is I was not in the AI servo mode when he decided to fly so some what not in focus. And 10D is not 1dMK2 as far as flight shots are concerned.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:31 PM   #2

Red Tail.
That first pose is awesome. I can hear him screaming now.
I see fifty of these guys a day. Man you have some nice shots. You sure can tell the difference between those big ol ccd's on DSLR and the rest of us puni guys. Very cool. I have GOT to win the Lottery. :lol:

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:56 PM   #3

Some really great shots BobbyZ. Would really like to know what was your setup for these; did you have a blind etc. Also any exposure? What is that tree, don't see those here in Kansas. Reason I am curious about your setup is I plan to work on Red Tails this Spring. BTW, the bird is a Red Tailed Hawk.

Beautiful work. Makes me green with envy
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:56 PM   #4

Some really great shots BobbyZ. Would really like to know what was your setup for these; did you have a blind etc. Also any exposure? What is that tree, don't see those here in Kansas. Reason I am curious about your setup is I plan to work on Red Tails this Spring. BTW, the bird is a Red Tailed Hawk.

Beautiful work. Makes me green with envy
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:17 PM   #5

Really nice job bobby. The posed one is sharp and demonstrates that the Tamron 1.4, when used properly, can do a very decent job. I really like the action shots and would be interested to know what aperture and shutter you were at. I've been looking at some action photos by an Australian photographer lately and they are spectacular. He seems to be using nothing less than an F8 and 1200 plus shutter (and that with nothing more than the 10D and 400/5.6). His flight shots are fantastic. Here's one of his Kestrels if you're interested: http://www.naturephotographers.net/i...509&u=2509

I like the third one for wing position and streamlined glide as well as the eye glare; but that glare seems to be in all of them; he seems to be checking you out quite extensively. Watch out, next time he may come after you.:-)

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:09 PM   #6

Normcar - Thanks. Sorry the exif data got wiped out when I ran them through Neat Image. I mostly shoot in aperture priority mode. My lens is good at F8, since I had the TC on, it would be at F11, so not bad considering that. I just looked at the sutter speeds and they were anywhere from 1/350 to 1/760. I was using ISO400 which is max I go on my 10D.

I have been watching the kestral shots on naturescapes.net. That guy uses a blind, otherwise the kestral won't let you come close. I regularly see 2/3 ones on my way to the park but they fly before I can aim the camera. Once kestal was sitting only 10 feet from my on a nice perch with his breakfast but I couldn't get the cam in time. I am thinking about the 400mm F5.6 lens as it is the best one for flight shots and one can use the 1.4x TC with it.

Golfer, I was using my car as a blind but this guy was way on top of a tree (don't know the tree type but they are common here (must be pine tree as I see pine cones, could be wrong). So I had to get out. I think this made him mad, I had thsi happen before once to me, so from now on, I got to be careful with these guys. A longer lens would help.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:01 PM   #7

Quote:
A longer lens would help.
I struggle with that myself to some degree. A longer lens, if prime, has the deficiency of not being able to focus up closer unless extension tubes are used, which also suck up light. So the shots one gains with the longer lens he or she may lose on the shorter end because of that bird that shows up too close. I'm sure you understand that minimum focus on the 400 prime is about 11 feet. That's one thing I like about the 300 IS (a 1.5 meter minimum focus). The only way to have your cake and eat it too is to have a bit softer zoom lens that is more macro in character.

I'm still debating the matter on what is best to have.

It's frustrating and ultimately it boils down to the thing behind bothcamera and lens that is most important to make improvements on.

I almost bought a 400/5.6 on FMto try outthe other day instead of the 70-200 but the deal fell through (because second hand they can always be sold the nextmonth without a lossif they don't work out the way you thought). I'm glad the deal fell through as I think it's more important at the moment for me to have the 70-200 which will complimentmy 24-70 and cover things like weddings and other "human" ceremonies that are coming up in the spring and summer. And human subjects are less demanding on sharpness. In fact, old human subjects hate sharpness, it shows off the wrinkles.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:21 PM   #8

Golfer wrote:
Quote:
* What is that tree, don't see those here in Kansas.*
It's a redwood tree.

Cheers,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:23 AM   #9

Great photos Bobby! I really like the second shot. Even though the tail and
feet are a little blurred, it gives me more of a sense of the guy "leaping" into
action. I'm also jealous. I see these guys so often on the highway, but
always in a situation where I can't stop.

As far as lenses, maybe some day a technology will come along that will allow
a zoom of 10-10,000, have infinite resolution, cost a couple of bucks, and
fit in our shirt pockets. But until then, I guess we'll all struggle about lens
choices and what can turn into a money pit.

:-)
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote