Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:37 PM   #3

I couldn't resist taking this one.

#3 of 3

Resized, lev, usm

ISO 400, 1/200, F8, 400MM

Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4

Hi Houston, these are all extremely good photos and because the flash light was used as the prominent lighting the dark background can be quite mood evoking and interesting. This is what I see in these photos, a bit less so with the squirrel as the ambient light is more noticable there since the flash doesn't seem to have taken as much of center stage on that one.

I personally love some of the effects that flash prominent lighting can bring about and yours are prime examples of this. Is this the effect that you were seeking after? If so, you have succeeded wonderfully.

If your goal, however, was to have a more natural look and a more visible ambient background then it might be a consideration to boost the ISO a touch to get natural lightand reduce the flash power by a few thirds in order to balance the lighting and get a bit more ambient flavor to the works.

In any event, no matter what your goals were, great job and extremely effective photos in both this and your other string.

EDIT - I just noticed that you have a 420 flash which doesn't have a capacity to internally reduce flash power. So, another way this can be done is simply to tilt your flash head upwards a touch, or sideways if you are shooting vertically. Either that or purchase a diffuser for the head for a few dollars at the local camera shop.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:47 AM   #5

I like the #2 shot very much. The perch is real good.

I think, flash is hard in #1, Using what Normcar suggested would give more natural looking shot.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:12 PM   #6

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Hi Houston, these are all extremely good photos and because the flash light was used as the prominent lighting the dark background can be quite mood evoking and interesting. This is what I see in these photos, a bit less so with the squirrel as the ambient light is more noticable there since the flash doesn't seem to have taken as much of center stage on that one.
Thanks a bunch Normcar, I really get a lift when you like it. And yes, the dark background is what I was hoping to get. When I got that effect with the "Male cardinal in the Camellia bush" I liked it and was hoping for the same effect. I am going to purchase a diffuser though. I have one for my C2100 and just haven't got one for the 420 yet. So many things to get. Better Beamer, TC, another lens. Doesn't stop does it. BTW I registered at Fredmiranda and will watch for the 100-400L. I've been so busy I haven't checked every night.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:25 PM   #7

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
I like the #2 shot very much. The perch is real good.

I think, flash is hard in #1, Using what Normcar suggested would give more natural looking shot.
Thanks Bobby. I thought the flash was a little harsh also but I still liked what I got there. But I am going to geta diffuser. And then that will bring about another decision to make before pushing the button all the way down.

To use the flash or not. To use the diffuser or not. To use Exposure comp or not. On and On. :lol:
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:26 PM   #8

Quote:
BTW I registered at Fredmiranda and will watch for the 100-400L. I've been so busy I haven't checked every night.
I watch the Buy and Sell pretty regularly there and will let you know if something comes up under the $1200 price tag.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:33 AM   #9

The flash is a bit harsh on the first photo, but it is a really good capture
of the pre-flight mechanics of the bird. The raising of the wings, the
dropping of the tail, and the positioning of the legs for springing into action. BTW, cute picture of the tree rat.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote