Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:24 PM   #1

Got the 100-300 usm today. Seems a lot heavier than the 90-300 mm. I cant get over how silent usm is. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the instructions state "do not touch manual focusing ring during auto focus" I was under the impression I could manually focus while in AF mode. Anyway, I raced outside to the tree where I'm guaranteed silver eyes most times of the day tryingto get a paste out of the pine cones I place in the tree and as you can see they have been successful as there is almost nothing left:-)These were my first shots, light was dull, I'm pretty happy with the lens, I can get closer to the birds as the lens is so quiet.

I like the last shot the best, I'm sure in better light I could have done better shots too.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:42 PM   #2

Nice little birds, the lens seems to be working well.

It is heavier because it has a metal body, where most of the new ones in that range are now made of plastics / polycarbonates.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:56 PM   #3

Great shots alady, and I can immediately see an improvement in especially richness of the sharpening. Looks like you got a good one. I can really see an improvement in photos 2 and 5 but it may also have something to do with the fact that I think those poses are really successful. Color looks good too but definitely an improvement in the sharpness dynamic. You were already a good photographer so the good photos are not a surprise.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:49 AM   #4

Thanks, This lens is more well built, has metal instead of plastic where it joins to the camera unlike the cheap one I got when I bought the 300D, I now aim to get either a 28-135 usmor the 28-105 usm as a walk about lens.

I think Im off to practice with this onenow:-)
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:31 AM   #5

Well, when I am sealed inside my house, snow up to the knees of a tall indian and the thermometer sinking lowerthan a snakes belly in a wagon rut...I am just really pleased to know that YOU are outside peering here and there (probably in your shorts) trying out your "new lense"

What a good feeling to know that at least someone somewhere is getting some sun and is able to encourage (me) others to wait out our winter. Go get'em Julie! Nice shots by the way, 2, 4 & 5 are my favorites. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:25 AM   #6

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Well, when I am sealed inside my house, snow up to the knees of a tall indian and the thermometer sinking lowerthan a snakes belly in a wagon rut...I am just really pleased to know that YOU are outside peering here and there (probably in your shorts) trying out your "new lense"

What a good feeling to know that at least someone somewhere is getting some sun and is able to encourage (me) others to wait out our winter. Go get'em Julie! Nice shots by the way, 2, 4 & 5 are my favorites. Best regards,

KennethD

Temperature today is very mild as we are in the south and it is cooler here, around 26C or 78F. Inland is very much hotter. I love living on the coast, we have rivers too so lots of wildlife between the waterways and Forrest areas.

But hey, it's summer here so, Ive still got Autumn to go yet. Winter starts officially on June 1st but we still get nice sunny days for some time after that. Worst months are july through to November for rain. Snow only happens in the coldest time in winter and only on the mountains around 100ks (62 miles) from here. I think the coldest we would ever get temperature wise is 30F but that is only at night and pretty rare.

Cant help the weather, just think, when Im freezing my butt off you will be laying in the sunshine:-)
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:13 AM   #7

Good defintion and color. I think you have a winner with that lens.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:17 AM   #8

You're doing great with the new lens Julie. They are all good photos and I am with you. I like the last one best. Really good.

Cheers

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:20 PM   #9

I like the #2 and last one. I think they need a bit more USM and some -EV. Enjoy the lens.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote