Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:24 PM   #11

I like the dove shot also. Sometimes we forget about the common birds.

Geoffs - Any pointers on approaching kestrals? I see 1-2 on my way to local park but they get spooked too easily. They fly out the moment they see my car. Maybe I just need to park there and let him come near to me.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:44 PM   #12

Quote:
My focus was on the eyes, do you think I should have tried a higher f-stop to get better focus on the rest of the bird?
Not if your intent was to get the eyes and make them the center of attention. If your focus was on the eyes then the goal has little to do with the entire bird. Now if your goal was to get a focus on the whole bird then definitely a smaller aperture. Apparently your goal was achieved successfully in that almost every comment on the dove gravitates to the eyes. You made a good choice IMO.

If the back of the bird was also entirelyin focus the dark nodes on the lower wing would be competing with the eyes for attention, which would have militated against your primary goal. As it sits, the sharpness of the eye and it's catch light are the very elements that draw the viewer.:-)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:42 PM   #13

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Geoffs - Any pointers on approaching kestrals? I see 1-2 on my way to local park but they get spooked too easily. They fly out the moment they see my car. Maybe I just need to park there and let him come near to me.
Bobby, I wish I could give you some great advice. All I can say is that of the kestrals that I've tried to approach, most have not been flighty at all. If I am in a car, I can often come to right under the wire they are perched on and they stay put even if I park and just watch them. If the kestrals in your location are a bit more leery it will pay off if you just park and wait for them.

This summer I am hoping to be able to get a good shot of some kestrals in the field behind my house as they hover over the field. They do that really often and now that I have the 300mm lens perhaps I'll get that shot.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:44 PM   #14

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
:-)I do I do :-), I go out fairly regularly with the local naturalist group. Totry to catalog what is around. Most commonly seenraptors are red-tail and red-shoulder hawks (and owls of various denominations). But never came across one of these little guys.
Peter, I notice that you are located in Ontario. That means, according to the range maps for kestrals that I have available, that they may very well vacate the area you live in for the winter. Your local Audubon club office should know for sure, but if that is the case you'll have to wait a few months before you have a chance for any success in finding them.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote