Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:35 PM   #1

Lin

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 1:30 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:45 PM   #2

I like the first one. Looks like he's eyeing you up for dinner. Healty looking coyote. Not like the scrawny ones you see here.......Cheers.....thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:15 PM   #3

Really nice shots. Detail and colors are very well done.

Justa tad too bright for my eyes but really very nice shots.

How did you get so close to this guy, looks like he is in full winter coat.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:36 PM   #4

Hi Lin. Beautiful, as are all of your pics that I've seen so far. Do you remember helpingme with the moon shots with my new ETX-90 a while back. It was on the post of yours with the Foxes and a much better moon shot than mine. If you do please take a look at another one of mine, (Heron, Great Blue) posted in this forum on Mon Dec 20. It was with the DRebel and ETX-90 also. Since then I've been using a 135-400 Sigma and pretty soon hope to have a canon 100-400L IS.

And again these "Yotes" are great, especially the first one. The eyes are like glass and it looks likehe is really focused on you. What did you use for these if I might ask.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:58 PM   #5

Quote:
How did you get so close to this guy, looks like he is in full winter coat.
Hi Guys - thanks. It's actually about -10F on this day with a wind chil of about -25 and these guys and gals are definitely in full winter coat. Telephoto helps getting close without spooking them too much.....
Quote:
What did you use for these if I might ask.

These were captured with my Sigma SD10 and Sigma 80-400 at an effective focal length of 680mm.

Houston - I looked at your Heron and it looks like you've got it down well, it's a great shot. The next step is to get the tools which will help you get optimal post processing. With the Blue Heron, the next step would be to use a deconvolution algorithm to correct the slight softness from very slightly missed focus.The one I use is called Focus Magic. It can correct for both slight motion blur (subject movement, not camera shake) and mis-focus. Focus Magic is inexpensive and where USM (unsharp mask) fails, can actually move pixels to correct for slightly missed focus, something which happens withsome regularity when digiscoping.

Here's a link to the Focus Magic site - I think you can download a trial version - definitely a tool you want to have when digiscoping.

http://www.focusmagic.com/

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:26 AM   #6

Thanks Lin and I will definately be looking into that tonight.

Cheers

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:30 PM   #7

Linn, your coyote are great. Would you mind sharing with us your setup. They are really beautiful.

I have a question, please don't take this as a critiscism. The furr and whiskers look coarser than coyotes I have seen, is this realty, or perhaps a result of the sharpening process.

I would love to get shots like those.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Linn, your coyote are great. Would you mind sharing with us your setup. They are really beautiful.

I have a question, please don't take this as a critiscism. The furr and whiskers look coarser than coyotes I have seen, is this realty, or perhaps a result of the sharpening process.
These were done with a Sigma SD10, Sigma 80-400 OS @ 400mm, ISO 100, F9, 1/400th hand held. With the 1.7x crop factor the effective focal length is 680mm.

These are pretty much about the average in terms of coat appearance for this time of year and the sub-zero temp. What may make the coat appear more coarse is the strong wind (about 25 mph) blowing which tends to lift the fur a bit in clumps. In the fullsized images, this is a little easier to actually see.Also, since the SD10 has no antialiasing filter like a bayer processed image, thetrue sharpness (edge roll-off) is considerably greater which makes imagessometimes appear more "coarse" depending on distance to subject and the nature of the detail. Much more detail is revealed with the Foveon processor so in a side-by-side comparison of images of same subject made with one of my CanondSLR's and the Sigmawhich works out great for prints, but sometimes looks a bit strange on screen, especially when what we are used to seeing has the benefit (or curse,depending on one'sneeds) of antialiasing filtration which makes for a much softer appearance. Here's a 1:1 cropwhere you can see a bit of this close up:

Best regards,

Lin

Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:58 PM   #9

Great shots Lin, that 80-400 with OS really seems to be able to catch the edges and the signature coloration and contrast of the Sigma does the rest along with, of course, the one behind the lens.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:27 AM   #10

Hi, I REALLY love these shots, Im a fan of the wild dogs, I have wolves on my walls along with American Indians (seems funny being as Im an Aussie but I love the style and back to nature look of the Indians and wolves, eagles etc)

Anyway, great shots, he looks cute but Im sure like the dingo over here they can be quite nasty when they have to be.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote