Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:09 PM   #1
Super Moderator

20D, 70-300mm DO IS USM, f5.6, @300mm, 1/60s, ISO3200.

IS works great 300mm x 1.6 = 480mm this shot hand-held at 1/60s ! Just as well really because there wasn't much light and I didn't have anywhere left to go with aperture and ISO.

Autofocus was fast and accurate. No problems at all, and the light couldn't have been much worse.

NR with NeatImage plug-in.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:27 PM   #2
Super Moderator

20D, EF-S 17-85mm IS, @85mm, 1/125s, f6.3, ISO3200.

This one was a little closer on the previous day - different park. Neatimage NR & a bit of sharpening, and cropped.

Actually these shots were as much about testing my new lenses as anything. But I do like squirrels and I kinda promised Geoffs...

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2005, 4:39 PM   #3
Super Moderator

20D, 70-300mm DO IS USM, @70mm, ISO400

Here we can see that:

a) this is not a squirrel, but it seemed gratuitous to start another thread
b) the DO lens isn't as sharp as L glass - especially when at the 70mm setting
c) nevertheless it's acceptably sharp to me
d) the lens has a nice "artistic" feel to the pictures it produces

I don't know how it's going to do in sunshine, reputedly much better than in the dreadful light we have had recently , but it's London in winter, so I may have to wait a few weeks or months to find out!

I'm developing a good relationship with my new DO lens - I think I like it.
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:10 PM   #4

Hey, peri! You brought me out of hibernation... I've been so busy lately that it's been tough to do more than just peek in here let alone post comments.

I am really glad to see that the 70-300 is impressing you. I think these are acceptably good photographs given the light conditions, the shutter speeds, and handheld. IS really helps doesn't it. I know on my 17-85 it was indispensable for a bunch of the shots I got during my trip to Israel.

Keep on posting your "experiments". I'll especially look forward to what the lens does in bright lighting conditions.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:05 PM   #5

The first 2 squirrels look cute and furry, might go good roasted with some beer. Not sure how you would catch that rare aquatic squirrel though. :blah:

Nice work!

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:16 PM   #6

Perhaps squirrel stew with dumplings. LOL Fun shots peri. Way to go.
How do you like your new lense? Saw your comment on my 100x400 question. Thanks.
What kinds of squirrels do you have in your area. We have what is called the gray and red squirrels. Get a little larger than some other areas.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:02 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The first two are grey squirrels, imported from North America I believe and have in true Darwinian fashion replaced the local red squirrels just about everywhere.

The third is a variety of lesser-known mallard squirrel, and also make quite good eating supposedly.

The 70-300 is proving to be sharp enough for me, though I suspect many would prefer L sharpness for the price. There seems to be a curious quality to the photos though which I find very appealing but hard to describe. They look "fine artsy" in some hard to define way; and I like that quality very much. I presume it must be the DO technology giving this look. But if ultra-sharp edges are critical for your satisfaction I suspect that this is probably a lens to be avoided. I don't think I'd regard it as a brilliant wildlife lens for that reason, though really I haven't had good enough light to be able to say for sure, maybe the lack of sharpness is down to relying quite heavily on the IS for what I've been able to shoot thus far.

Basically in every respect other than sharpness I've been hugely impressed by the lens. When zoomed in it's actually shorter than the 17-85, though a little wider. As a walk-around companion to the 17-85 it seems ideal.

When I travel between SA & the UK every kilogram of luggage allowance is precious and these two lenses are brilliant in that respect.