Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:09 AM   #11

Simple stunning Eric. I would be happy to make one shot like this in my lifetime I think (especially since we don't have a lot of eagles where I am )

Once again - superb!
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:40 AM   #12

Thanks to all, I am very pleased with these shots. It's not often that an eagle flys by that close... I was very happy that I had acquired the skill to capture it.

As for the flying with eagles... check out this link. Continue into the full site from there... the short movies on it are just amazing.
http://media.animal.discovery.com/co.../birdtech.html

This is truly an amazing use of technology.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:56 PM   #13

I cant say WOW loud enough.

evilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:14 PM   #14

:-)AI-Servo tracking seems to be working? :-)

Very nice captures.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:23 PM   #15

With a subject that large, and the white background... ya, AI Servo could handle it. I'm thinking of trying more short eared this weekend... but I'm also a bit scared that I'll just get mad again. (But I'm a sucker for them, so you know I'll do it.)

Glad you two like them.

Eric

Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:41 PM   #16

Eric,

You have outdone yourself. I think these eagle picures are just amazing. I think you were definitely lucky.. that you have that 600 f4 and know how to use it! A friend of mine is big on saying: "luck is where circumstance and preparation combine"

I can't imagine many ways that someone without your knowledge, skill and equipment could have captured theses images. Just top notch.

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:03 AM   #17

Sweet detail, what a rush, Eric!! Congratulations! I think it was worth the frostbite!!
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:46 PM   #18

i think david covered my opinion on this one

the only 'luck' involved in this was how close he was...you still had to capture it!

nice work man!

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:11 PM   #19

Eric these are great eagle shots. Do you usually have this great of luck with your 20D with birds in flight? I'm currently shopping for the best focus tracking camera. Thanks for your reply. Roy
NeoAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Eric these are great eagle shots. Do you usually have this great of luck with your 20D with birds in flight? I'm currently shopping for the best focus tracking camera. Thanks for your reply.
The absolute best focusing tracking camera is obviously the Canon 1D MkII. There is no competition except maybe the film based Canon 1V or 1VHS (The Nikon F5 and F6 are also amazing for film cameras.) But the MkII costs a lot of money, around $4400 or so. But the 20D is just a toy compared to it.

There is HUGE mixed opinion on the 20D. Some do well, others (like me) have a really hard time. It keeps locking focus on the background when the background is something other than the sky. Some think the camera is defective (either by design or bad quality control) others think it's skill. The focus points are smaller on the 20D vs. the 10D and so the theory is that we aren't keeping the bird under the AF point as well as we should. In my case, this could be true... I don't know. I'm certainly going to try to get better before I sell it and buy a MkII (the cost diff is really steep.)

I've read from some people that shooting in one-shot works well. I tried this and it did seem to be better. But, since you don't have focus tracking it is a harder to get that great shot with moving birds. You can do it, I've seen the results, but I wasn't able to do it well. I'd miss that critical moment where it turns its head or banked sharply. With focus tracking I'm ready and can get that shot (if the camera actually tracked the bird and not the background.)

Eric