Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:07 PM   #11

Great shot, good pose.

Someone needs to create an Automaticlaly Shapren Everyting Just Enough filter.:blah:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:54 PM   #12

I'd pay good money for that filter. It would save me a lot of time.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:23 PM   #13

Eric,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes, now that I know what to look for I can see the halo. Wow, that's some picky detail. I think until your eye gets accustom to the process, details like that are pretty elusive. My eye isn't quite used to looking for that depth of detail yet. I appreciate you taking the time to show me. It all helps produce a better picture, right?

go get em'

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:16 AM   #14

very nice photo. Of all the birds Ive seen posted in here these little guys are the ones I like the most, they are very different and perhaps they do have the effect of a wax model.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Someone needs to create an Automaticlaly Shapren Everyting Just Enough filter

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...harpener.shtml

Originally posted by peripatetic [thanks, peri for the link a far suprior sharpener that FM's]
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:11 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Jake,

I was about to say actually that PK Sharpener comes pretty close to "automatically sharpen everything just right".

The import sharpening is great, then a bit of creative for certain shots followed by optimisation for print or web output works great.

I've been printing a bunch of stuff today and PK has worked really well.

I'm still in the trial period but I reckon I'll probably have to fork out the $99 *sigh*. (Don't even want to think about the credit card this month.)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:23 PM   #17

Hey Peripatatic, I have found PK to be a WHOLE lot better than my own abilities,so I am definitely going to buy it, thanks again for the link [anybody want to buy a hardly used version of FM's CSpro]Except, it {PK}only works with the full version of PS, so :

I have ordered that as well, it should be arriving tomorrow, along with my pelican case, my lowepro bag, my......and the...... as well as the other....

I must admit I did not realise what costs I was getting into going the SLR route, I thought, get the 20d, a lense or two, shouldn't be much more :well, not so, the body is just the basic cost, the rest is the major factor, but hey, I'mHAVING FUN!![oh yes, forgot to mention the 2nd body you have to get so you have instant access to all the focal lengths !!]

I'm not griping at all, really. Photography has opened up a whole new interest, it's actually difficult to set my mind to normal work. Itake my camera whever I go now [hence the need for a Lowepro bag], and trips to jobs take double the time or more now [how can you not stop for that buzzard sitting on a lamp post, hoping he'll fly off in a spectacular fashion, and the capturedshot will look amazingas your wallpaper

CanonSA are going to loan me a 17-85 until they sort that "speck" story out, they checked their stock andthere are others that have the "specks" so they are waiting on canon Europe for a solution.

Asa matter of interest, I see that gull you took had a ring on it's foot, is that common, or part of a survey on gull movements?? The duck/mallard pic was superb

Regards

Jake
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:23 PM   #18

The sharpening package I'm considering is a combination of FocalBlade and Focus magic. I've heard good things about PK Sharpener, though.

I agree about the cost thing. Look at what I ended up with, Canon's most expensive off-the-shelf lens!

That gull looks to have a banding ring. Good eye.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:46 PM   #19

Nice waxwing shot, Eric, and also some great and informative conversations going on in this thread!

For all of you, welcome to the great big dslr money pit!!! The credit card, camera, accessory, and software companies love the fact that you've bought into a dslr. Unfortunately for my bank account I'm in the same boat as the rest of you, but fortunately for my own personal sense of satisfaction I'm also in the same boat as the rest of you!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:21 AM   #20
Super Moderator

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
As a matter of interest, I see that gull you took had a ring on it's foot, is that common, or part of a survey on gull movements?? The duck/mallard pic was superb
Thanks :-) After two weeks of low-light testing of the DO I was thrilled to finally get some sunshine for it.

Not sure about the ring - it's a London gull so it could be from anywhere. I don't think I've ever seen a bird other than a pigeon in London that isn't ringed though!

Probably customs & immigration at Heathrow - if you haven't got a passport you get ringed. :G
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote