Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:55 PM   #1

Here are 3 more chickadees from last week:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:02 AM   #2

All are really good captures. The first one reminds me of some of the hood
ornaments on some old cars. The second one has a really nice composition.
I like the way the background worked out to put sort of a "halo" around the
bird. Then there is the last one. That expression you catured is just so damned
cute!!! Looks almost like, "What the .........?" (fill in the blank with the appropriate word)
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:21 AM   #3

These are brilliant! Norm, I hope a few of your series are framed and displayed prominentlyin your home . They're worthy of a photo show I would say!
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:31 AM   #4

nice shots norm, what kind of processing?

Ive been tossing up the order to process in, should I use neat image before other corrections, contrast, sharpening etc. Ive tried both orders but cant see the difference and wondered how everyone else does this. I use neat image on any photos shot on 400 or perhaps 800 ISO or more.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:48 AM   #5

Norm, I really love you action shots. These are just terrific. I can appreciate the patience it takes to get these and the do over shots as well.
Question: Do you set up on a tripod and set with the cam focused and switch pressed 1/2 way down waiting for the bird to take flight. IS would be ruuning as well if using it?
Any tips as to how a beginner can do some ot these.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:51 AM   #6

I like 'em, Norm.

In the first one the chickadee looks like he's taking a bow for the audience. The second shot gives the appearance of contentment. The last shot communicates awareness (of you). A different message from each. As suze mentioned, it would make for a nice triptych (sp?) presentation on a wall.

Julie: Usually, if there is NR to be done on a photo, I like to do it as one of the very first steps after raw conversion. Definitely before sharpening because if there is noise sharpening tends to sharpen the noise also and make it much more evident and tougher to eliminate. Sometimes I will even do a second and weaker NR step after sharpening if the sharpening "brought out" additional noise. I will also be selective in what I do NR on. If the bg shows the noise but the subject does not, I will select the bg in PSCS and only do NR on it, therefore preserving max detail on the subject itself.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:21 AM   #7

Hi, Norm;

What I really like in the first shot is the little bits of snow falling at the lower-right. This (along with the fluttering wings, of course) gives a sense of the motion. The almost-monochromaticeffect works very well in these shots.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:53 PM   #8

Quote:
The first one reminds me of some of the hood
ornaments on some old cars.
:-)Funny response, and true.

Thank you Suze, I appreciate the compliment

Quote:
nice shots norm, what kind of processing?
Thanks alady, if I'm going to neat image I usually do it at the end of the process. I usually sharpen once before reducing for the web as the Mark II's anti-aliasing properties are intentionally a touch soft in camera to allow for more dynamic and successful sharpening in the out-of-camera processing and to reduce potential for sharpening artifacts that cannot be fixed or controlled(I am extremely happy that Canon has done it this way too). Once I have reduced for the web I sharpen slightly to compensate for thesoftening that results when reducing a file in size. I then save under another filenameand do any brightening or contrasting, leaving the original file saved in another folder untouched with all exif data intact.If necessary I will then run the file through neat image. At very high ISO speeds I have been known to run the file a few times through neat image. However, if I see strange artifacts in the resulting product I will dispose 99% of the time rather than post. I hate those little cross artifacts that arise from time to time in an overly sharpened or neat imaged file. If I see those now the file is dumped.

Quote:
Do you set up on a tripod and set with the cam focused and switch pressed 1/2 way down waiting for the bird to take flight. IS would be ruuning as well if using it? Any tips...
Thanks Golfer,indeed I put the shutter in ready mode when trying to get an action shot. I don't have IS with any of my lenses so, no, IS isn't running :lol: As for any tips, I'd say that it's very helpful to have a good burst on your camera, to do as you say and put your shutter in ready mode, and watch the birds so you have a reasonable idea what they are going to do, where they are going to go, and when. I often don't use a tripod but my shutter speeds are very high when my goal is to get action, and my ISO is high in order to get those shutter speeds high.

Thanks for your three interpretations Geoff, indeed the last one was extremely interested in me, as I too would probably be if some strange thing was pointing a huge barrel straight at my mug. The only difference is that I would probably be spilling something from the rear as well.

Tom, glad you noticed and commented on the snow as it was one of my personal favorite things too. I even increased the contrast a touch on them so they would stand out more.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:00 PM   #9

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Thanks alady, if I'm going to neat image I usually do it at the end of the process.

MMM, thats how I have been doing it, however I use noiseware more than neat image as the sharpening effect in that programme as it reduces noise is pretty good. I use USM in photoshop last after all other adjustments but do not sharpen as much as I would if I was NOT going to use noiseware or neat image.

I was just interested in what other people do and some do it the opposite way, I guess the final result is what matters in the end.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:42 PM   #10

To me it stands to reason that if you wish to use a noise processor to process out noise you don't want to reintroduce noise via sharpening or any other form of processing after the fact. To me that would be entirely defeating the purpose of using it in the first placeto take out noise.:?:G