Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:21 PM   #1

Taken with Drebel, Sigma 135-400, Tamron 1.4 tc.
ISO 400, 1/500, F7.1, 560mm.

NR done first, then USM, auto lev, lightened the eye ball some, (Thanks for the tip Normcar), resized, sharpened a little more, and selective NR on the background last.

Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:25 PM   #2

ISO 400, 1/160, F5.6, 560mm
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:29 PM   #3

ISO 400, 1/200, F5.6, 560mm
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:35 PM   #4

ISO 400, 1/200, F6.3, 560mm
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:43 PM   #5

You're getting some good stuff, Houston. The head and body on that first bird is really good and your eyeball is touched up perfectly; you can see both circles and color values and that from somewhat of a distance which is quite a feat.

I think overall the first bird is the most successful, and the one in the tree is the most successful in the area of interesting background and just a neat looking piece of work. The background in the first one is a touch lifeless in comparison.

The contrast is slightly too much on some of these for my monitor here, but if I went to work and looked on that monitor it might be spot on or not enough, so don't consider this to be a criticism. None of my monitors have been professionally calibrated. And contrast application is subjective at the best of times. On this here monitor of mine I'm having trouble seeing some of the details in the darker areas.

Gads yer gettin' some nice stuff done here, though. The first thing I saw when downloading this page (it goes real slow on my dialup) was the robin's head and I was very impressed, and had lots of time to admire the work.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:17 AM   #6

I agree with Norm that #1 is the winner here. The eye markings are really
clear. As for the background, oh well, they're Robins, digging in the grass is what they do.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:21 AM   #7

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Gads yer gettin' some nice stuff done here, though. The first thing I saw when downloading this page (it goes real slow on my dialup) was the robin's head and I was very impressed, and had lots of time to admire the work.
Thanks Normcar and Woodmeister. Gee ya'll make me feel like I've just graduated from 1st to 2nd grade. And without all you great people out there I would never have gotten this far this fast. On this end your help has been greatly appreciated. Still have a long way to go but I will enjoy every minute of it.

Oh, I wanted to add something else. Those were taken in the early morning and I was laying stretched out flat on the damp ground with the camera resting in my left hand trying to do as you suggested earlier. I guess I'll need to put beanbag on my list of things I need huh!!!!!!!!:G.

Houston