Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:34 PM   #1

Took my niece, a budding 4 (5?) year old bird lover to an owl show this past weekend. Ok, I'll admit to having seen it twice before already (by myself.) I'm just a sucker for owls. This is a Eurasian Eagle Owl. The largest owl in the world. It's basicaly the same size as a Great Gray Owl, but heavier. Great plumage, large wingspan (5 feet+, if I recall) and amazingly strong. 200 pounds of force from those talons (if it wants.)

We got to see 6 owls. I hope to make a gallery of them all later this week.

This shot was hand-held with a flash using +flash compensation (on the flash) to make up for the dark chapel I was in. I'm surprised how sharp these were. I did no sharpening on the last one, anything I did just brought out the white instead of sharpening.

Camera: 20D 28-135 IS @ between 60mm and 135mm 1/40th (or so) f3.5 ISO400
PhotoShop: NeatImage, contrast (various), slight exposure, crop, reduce, slight sharpen

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:52 PM   #2

beautiful bird, I love the second shot with the wings spread, shows the beautiful colors.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3

A beautiful owl on display in these pictures Eric. What impresses me the most about this owl is not the impressive wingspan or "ears" but the very stout and muscular look of its legs and feet. Just look at the size of those things as it's perched on its trainer's arm! Whether that is just an illusion due to the feathers on its legs or not, it's still impressive.

Also, I've noticed in my own experiments that the 20D can produce unbelievably detailed and sharp handheld shots when flash is involved. Using flash seems to take away all the uncertainty involved with handholding the camera.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:22 AM   #4

Lovely bird and those eyes are just captivating.

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:35 AM   #5

PeterP, it's interesting that you mention the eyes. They are very much like that in real life. Very striking and bright orange. I toned them down in the first shot, as sharpening gave them a bit too much orange. They are more... I don't know the color. Orange with brown mixed in, but still very bright.

Geoff, the legs & talons are that impressive. Very strong and powerful... very thick. Yes, there are some feathers on the legs so they look bigger than they are. But they are still very big.

I was using my 550EX flash with it, which I like a lot. I wonder if some of the sharpness is due to the very short flash time meant there really wasn't much of a chance for the motion blur to show. But I agree, these seem better than they should have been from my 10D experience. I think it does do a better job... I just don't know why.

aladyforty, I've always wanted a quilt made up like the back of a great horned owl. I like this pattern a lot, but its a bit too orange for my taste. It's my favor part on most owls. The back patterns are just so amazing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:01 AM   #6

Great work Eric. You couldn't ask for a better flash exposure than what you have
there.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote