Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:18 PM   #1

Not the best background in the world, but you take what you can get!
Attached Images

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:27 PM   #2

Real nice pose, feather and eye definition. I don't notice the background so much because the bird is so nicely done. But I do agree with you that the background could be a touch more exciting. Unfortunately we can't tell the bird that.:shock:
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:41 PM   #3

As Norm said, you were able to capture great definition in the feathers on this shot. However, a Blackpoll Warbler this is not.

So... here we go again... this be a Mockingbird.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:53 PM   #4

Thanks guys. LOL, I never claimed to be an expert in identification. Looked like a blackpoll warbler from the website I used and I liked the name, so I called it one!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:46 PM   #5

No, I think it's a albatross. Or maybe an Anhinga? How about a pterodactyl! Ya, that's it! A pigmy pterodactyl

Yes, that is a mocking bird. Look like it could use a shot of neatimage or other noise reduction software. There also looks to be a slight color shift (to my eyes.)

I like the pose, though. Many people think you should shoot birds straight on or to the side. But there are times I really go for an "over the back" shot.

Eric

Ps. Wannabe, you might not know you wanted into a group that discussed mockingbird identification & miss-identification recently.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:36 PM   #6

Eric:

Yeah, I sorta got the idea that maybe someone else promoted his Mockingbird to a Warbler.

As far as the image goes, I didn't do much except a very low unsharp on the Warbl....er, Mockingbird. I wanted to send it to a friend and was heading out the door so I think I prolly just wrote the "noise" off to the busy background (forgetting I was shooting at 800 ISO which was somewhat new for me). Sometimes it seems to me what looks like noise in the shots I take in the backyard is really just multiple blurred blades of grass and overlapping, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I applied a noise reduction filter and I think it looks better.
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:51 PM   #7

Wannabe, I hope you don't mind that I downloaded your picture and played with it a little. Your image seemed like it had a blue-green color cast to it and there also seemed to be quite a bit of color noise on the mocker's back. After some application of curves, setting the white point, and applying two rounds of NeatImage, some USM local contrast enhancement, and a touch of USM sharpening here is what I came up with - is it an improvement?

Attached Images

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:48 AM   #8

Wannabe and Geoff, hope neither of you mind, but I thought I would take a
stab at playing with this image as it is such a nice pose. Here was my process:
1. Applied a Gaussian blur of 0.3 radius. I find on some images this helps
to reduce noise reduction artifacts.
2. Aggressive noise reduction with Digital Gem Pro. Suppression=90, Detail=74
3. USM @ 1 pixel, 50%, with a luminosity fade of 50%
4. USM @ 0.3 pixel, 150%, with luminosity fade of 60%
5. For local contrast enhancement, USM @ 60 pixel, 10%
6. 0.2 radius Gaussian blur to soften a touch.

What do you all think of the results?

woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:52 AM   #9

I don't mind any help/suggestions at all, thanks for it!

My comments:

1. I had forgotten all about using gaussian blur. I knew that a long time ago, but sort of got out of working with graphics programs until I got into photography.

2. I think I like Wood's a little better in this case, partially because the brighter the background ismore distractingto me. That's more of a personal taste I suppose.

3. Unfortunately, I'm using PSP and I'm not sure if I can (or how to do it if I can) approximate the USM with luminosity fade thing. Are all those steps possible in Photoshop elements? I've got an older copy of photoshop (the full program, not elements), but it's like 5.5 I think so I've just been using PSP as I have the latest copy of that one.

4. I haven't really worked out much of an organized way of processing my images. Usually, I'll adjust exposure and white balance (as those things are adjustable during the image loading process into PSP) first. Then I usally adjust the histogram, play with contrast a little, adjust the saturation/lightness. Unsharp mask (usually just the subject, but not always. And then noise reduction and look at where I'm at after all that and maybe make other slight adjustments.

5. I've used the curves/levels adjusters before, but I don't think I understand when it's appropriate to apply them so mostly I've used other adjustments to try and achieve essentially what those two things can do.

Anyway, duty calls. Thanks for the help guys.