Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1

Nothing special. Just a crow. Got the metering fairly close though, so was happy about that. They're tough to photo. Cheers........thekman.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:43 PM   #2

I agree with you that composition could be stronger but I think that if you did some creative cropping you might really have a nice result to play with. For example, how about a crow portrait and some PSCS blurring of the background?

OTOH, you did a fantastic job of getting the exposure just right so that you could get great detail in that black plumage. Great work!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I agree with you that composition could be stronger but I think that if you did some creative cropping you might really have a nice result to play with. For example, how about a crow portrait and some PSCS blurring of the background?

OTOH, you did a fantastic job of getting the exposure just right so that you could get great detail in that black plumage. Great work!
I agree Geoff. Weak composition. It's just blah to me. Really shouldn't have posted this. I'll use more discretion next time. Cheers......thekman.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Weak composition. It's just blah to me. Really shouldn't have posted this. I'll use more discretion next time.
I think, as Geoff appears to have said, that you have done a fabulous job of exposing the feather detail in this extremely difficult subject. Because of this I certainly am happy that you did post to show the rest of us what a very well exposed crow feathering looks like. Most of my crows are so black that you can't see any lines or so overexposed that all you see is white and grey. I hate photographing crows or magpies; they mock me with both their actions and color. :-)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:08 PM   #5

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Weak composition. It's just blah to me. Really shouldn't have posted this. I'll use more discretion next time.
I think, as Geoff appears to have said, that you have done a fabulous job of exposing the feather detail in this extremely difficult subject. Because of this I certainly am happy that you did post to show the rest of us what a very well exposed crow feathering looks like. Most of my crows are so black that you can't see any lines or so overexposed that all you see is white and grey. I hate photographing crows or magpies; they mock me with both their actions and color. :-)
You probably know this already Normcar, but I used spot metering. It was a very bright day, as you can probably tell by the background. Whenever I shoot anything that is white or black, I use spot metering. The background might be blown out or very dark, but at least the subject is usually close to being correctly metered. This picture should have been sharpened up too. Not quite in focus I believe. Cheers...thekman.