Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:02 PM   #1

Needs a little work, but happy to add him to my growing collection.
Attached Images

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:27 PM   #2

Good color, nicely blurred background. These guys have been an elusive one
for me to get a good photo of.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:54 PM   #3

Thanks wood.

I cropped it too much, and there's a blasted twig that crosses his perch and partially reaches across the Cardinal. I think I'm going to redo it and not crop so much and make a few other adjustments.

Maybe I'll post the results when I get a chance to redo it. Not tonight, though.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:05 PM   #4

Wannabe, this cardinal of yours has more character than any others I've seen to date. The face is fantastic. I don't notice the branch much, have you already cloned out some? If not, it wouldn't be much of a task to totally get rid of that tiny blur across the bird. I think it's a pretty fine effort and I'd be happy to get a shot like that of a cardinal. Again, the face is unique to me, I've never seen one with so much character.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:55 AM   #5

Thanks Norm!

The branch in question was very much out of focus before post processing, and even moreso after applying the noise reduction filter in my editing software. I've also recently learned to make much more precise selections (what a difference that makes), and so I was able to minimize some of the effects of branch by adjusting the histogram/levels/curves of just the Cardinal.

I was handholding that shot at 400mm (effectively, 600mm) in very overcast weather, so shutter speeds were on the slow side, and as a consequence, I took a lot of shots hoping at least some of them would turn out with mimimal shake. In looking at all the pictures, I really got the impression this was an older bird. He's got some nics and one one big "scar" (for lack of a better word).

The original picture had pretty minimal processing. I decided to put a little effort into getting the most out of the photo, so I started over from scratch. I recropped it (less this time), cloned out the limb portion that was crossing his body, and far more selectively applied adjustments to the picture as a whole. I also fixed a couple of nics behind his head (least I could do for him for giving me such a thrill).

Anyway, here's the results.
Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:03 AM   #6

Norm,

Just realized I may have cloned out some of his "character", from your perspective!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:11 PM   #7

Huge improvement in the second attempt IMO, and the character is still there, even moreso. I'm glad you said something about it's age as maybe that has something to do with that priceless expression and overall flavor.

Since you have done such an excellent job of post processing perhaps you might consider taking out that very minor blurred limb in the lower left corner as well.

Great photo,
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:46 PM   #8

Nice job wannabe. I have shot several cardinals that live in our backyard and have found they are really hard for me to get the eyes. Getting the light right and the best expoure is a challange. You pulled it off well. I will keep trying. LOL
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:37 PM   #9

Thanks Norm. I really think the second one turned out a lot better. I'll work on getting the limb out and post the results.

Golfer,

Thanks! You're so right about the eye. I also found out it's very easy to accidentally process out what definition is there if you don't pay attention!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:12 PM   #10

Ok Norm. Here's one without the irritating blur branch in the lower left. Not sure how good a job I did, though. I never feel good about getting the right mix of incongruity to maintain a natural overall effect.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images