Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:32 PM   #1
DBB

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/New/images/GULLCUP1.jpg[/img]

Seagull with cup? Not exactly

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/New/images/GULLCUP2.jpg[/img]

This appears to be a three year old (third Winter) Herring Gull. The shots were taken from two three hundred yards away, and I had no idea what I was photographing.

This Gull had just dropped his clam short of the rocky beach, and then shoveled it back into his cup for another attempt.

A Gull is limited in the size of the clam they can drop, on the rocks, by what they can carry in their beaks. This incredible genius had figured out how to deal with this problem, and the clam he could now carry was much larger than what they are normally capable of.

And me? I'm still kicking myself for taking a coupla of casual shots and NOT realising what I was missing.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:31 PM   #2

they ARE very smart:-)I noticed one near our local shopping centre yesterday, he was at the bin where some guy had thrown a meat pie still in the bag inside, the seagull took the whole thing, opened the bag, removed the pie and ate it in seconds:-)

nice capture

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3
DBB

Actually skill had nothing at all to do with these shots. I sometimes take shots of Gulls with their clams or snails or whatever. But I stopped because I was to far away for a real closeup...

I didn't notice a thing until I got home. I knew he was dropping a clam and then I knew he was holding a paper cup. But unlike him, it took me a while to put two and two together.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote