Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:27 AM   #1

These shots are from Lake Wauberg ...
( http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...es_prairie.htm ) which is south of Paynes Prairie ( http://prairiefriends.org/ ) on 441 in Florida. They were taken from a canoe on a hazy day at 12 optical zoom and are a little 'rough'. They do kind of follow the action though.

There are at least 10 resident eagles on the lake and they usually put on a pretty good show. With that many eagles, there usually aren't too many ospreys fishing the lake. Yesterday was the exception. There were at least a half dozen working the lake and for the first couple of hours I was out there, the eagles just let the ospreys do their fishing for them. They put on an amazing show of aerial acrobatics. The ospreys can turn tighter, but the eagles would end up with the fish at least sixty percent of the time.

I saw one eagle actually do a barrel roll, come up under an osprey inverted, grab the carp from it and finish out the barrel roll - slicker and faster than greased lighting. Saw one young eagle win the prize, only to lose it to a mature eagle and all of them calling back and forth at each other the whole time.

It seems like the ospreys knew what they were doing. After a couple of hours the eagles had their fill and they could get away with their catch. It seemed like then, they would fly by the eagles with their catch just to razz them.

__________________________________________________ _________________

__________________________________________________ _________________

Blue Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:32 PM   #2

Wow! I would probably have fallen out of the canoe. Thanks for sharing.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:45 AM   #3

Thanks,

I don't know if you can play it, but here is a short, rough clip (MOV file) with the eagles calling ...

http://members.atlantic.net/~dwb400/BaldEagleSong.mov

Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:15 PM   #4

Great series of action.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:46 PM   #5

Wow! Thanks for sharing the pix and the story! I would have loved to have seen that barrel roll!! I can't believe how they can turn on a dime and just get right in where they need to be. It takes my breath away watching them. Congratulations on your fish captures. What a rush!!

:-)WI GIRL
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 2:25 AM   #6

Thanks again.

This is what they were feeding on. It's called a gizzard shad ...

The aerial warriors weren't the only ones out fishing either, but they were doing most of the catching ...