Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:03 PM   #1

I'mfloundering atanother's computer this evening so Iam unable toupload as I normally do, footloose and fancy free. So I shall use Steve's bytes for this one. To my good fortune the waxwings congregated again and I just happened to pop by at the most opportune moment. I didn't, however,make the best of a gifted situation by tripoding down and using good setting sense, but I did buffoon myself into some worthwhile photos, don't ask me how. Here is one and I will be posting a few more sometime in the near future. I posted thissomewhat dullfilebecause I liked the shadows across it's breast and the sense of quiet pride that seems to emanate from this luscious bird:

Attached Images

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:21 PM   #2

Norm, I like all that you mentioned as the things you like about this photo. Above all, I really fancy the silky texture you've captured in the waxwing's chest and belly plumage!

I don't find the image dull at all, btw. Sure, the BG is dark but that helps to show off the bird...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3

Thanks geoff,happy to hear that you can find somethings to appreciate in this one. Iwas also confronted, today,for the first time inwhat seems like ages,by another creature...and an earth-shaker,considering this pastbrutal and bottomlessbutt of a winter. The photo below will explain:

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4

Well congratulations on your first robin of the season! Perhaps you can now see the end in sight of the winter you so much dislike (me too - I like snow in the mountains but not in the valley where I live).

BTW, I just got back from Tennessee this past Tuesday. We were visiting my son and his wife after the birth of their first child and our first grandchild. I became a grandfather on my 50th birthday!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:45 PM   #5

Congrats geoff, I hope you can stand the double-whammy: grampa (old) and 50th (older). Just remember that all things ripen with age. Unfortunately ripening comes just prior to... :G

But, not to worry, that beautiful grandchild will keep you forever young :|
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:57 PM   #6

It may be a little dark but that is one pretty bird. I would just love to get a good shot at one of them.
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:02 PM   #7

Thanks Houston, I'd post more tonight but I'm not on my own computer and I don't want to take this one up too much. I could get tossed if I do. This is the second time in about 2 months that I've run into a gaggling herd of flapping, fluttering, gorging, radiant waxwings. Love it, but was a bit unprepared today. I had a 70-200 zoom on board at the time as I was testing it out for CU bird photography, realized that it wasn't going to be as sharp as the 200/1.8, and immediately fumbled an exchange in mid-stream, then I fumbled around trying to figure out what extender to use, finally deciding on the 1.4x...I was lucky to get any shots in my unprepared buffoonish state. I'll post more next week.

Thanks again :-)
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:32 PM   #8

REally nice NOrmcar.

These are such pretty birds. I hope to run into one some day and screw it up as much as you think you did this one. HaHa!

I think you have a really nice shot here the color and detail are spot on.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:34 AM   #9

Thanks, zoomn, for the vote of confidence in this particular work. I'm not really dissing this one so much as the entire scope and sequence of events that transpired during my waxwing adventure today. This was one of the shots that, despite my stumbling, came out okay.

I also got my first shots of a bald eagle; never dreamed I'd see one up here so soon, but there it was, a long ways off and backlit like crazy, and I only had the 200 with 1.4x (I would have loved the 500 at that moment, I'll tell you). I tried to process something into it but what you see is what you get. Not a problem, I got to see my first wild bald eagle...they are beautiful, even from a distance.

Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:35 PM   #10

Norm, I think this is a wonderful photo. The color is great and got detail out of a bird
that is tough to get detail because of the very fine feathers. The only thing I can find negative about it
is that it wasn't in my neck of the woods.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote