Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:35 PM   #1

I spent a whole lotta time with lens pointed at the peak of a cone tree waiting for this magpie to take off. Finally it did and I caught a few decent exposures in a burst. It's tough getting proper exposure with this bird but the light helped.

200/1.8 with 1.4x extender, hand-held and pointed extremely vertical. That lens can get heavy after awhile

Magpie in it's lookout

Take-off

Gaining height

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:42 PM   #2

Great action shots Norm. Wish we had these guys here. They a re a really cool looking bird.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:15 PM   #3

Thanks woodmeister, it's interesting to note the supply and demand factor in bird appreciation. Manycritics in Western Canada would look at the Magpie as inhabiting a social order level lower than a crow or pigeon since they are everywhere one looks, including the highway. But they are distinctly a very pretty looking bird if one takes the time to actually admire them. They are also extremely intelligent, enough so that they find ways to survive the long winter up here.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:07 PM   #4

Normcar, your comment remindes me of a discussion I had with a group of photographers. BlueJays are a fairly common bird and they decend on bird feeders, push off everthing else and eat everything in sight. But if you ignore their annoying habits, they are a rather beautiful bird.

I think you did a good job on the exposure. The low angle hurts the first shot, but as part of the series it works well. (And you got feather detail in the black and white areas, which is no easy thing.)

The only fault I can see is that there are sharpening halos in all the shots. A common problem I have with dark birds. My solution is to select the bird and reduce the selection area by 1 pixel and then sharpen. That prevents halos very well and it also increases the emphasis on bird slightly.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:21 PM   #5

Quote:
The only fault I can see is that there are sharpening halos in all the shots.
Aw, you caught me on my short-cutting eric, no fair :-) I was lazy today and since the sky was the same niceblue on theseI just did a quickmagic wand on it and blurred the background. Since I didn't take the time to set the tolerance properly I got some dotting which you have caught. I figured that since thedotting halos couldn'tbe seen at a distance I'd just leave them. Woops, my mistake, I shouldn't have been lazy and have been caught with my magic wand in the cookie jar.

Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:58 PM   #6

That is a very pretty bird Normcar and you made an amazing capture of it. You mentioned it was tough getting proper exposure on that bird. Just what exposure compensation did you use. I'm still trying to get a chickadee to look right. LOL.
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Just what exposure compensation did you use.
I do a manual exposure bracket. I could set my camera bracketing but I've been too lazy. Page 76 of your Rebel manual tells you how to bracket your camera. If I'm unsure I will bracket 1/3 up and 1/3 down from zero.

Thanks, Houston,for checking the Magpie out and have yourself a good week.

Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:25 AM   #8

Normcar!!! You ought to be taking a bow for this post. Yes we have a zillion of'em here alright, but when I want them to do something photogenic, they wait. And wait. And wait. And then they hide. These guys are hard to figure out. When I don't have my camera, they are the most audacious acrobats. They swoop, they're graceful, they'll pose alone or in huge numbers. But when I've got my camera, they don't know me. They don't get no respect, I know. But I love'em. Real nice job...Best regards,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:00 AM   #9

You need to pay them more, Kenneth. You don't expect them to perform for nothing do ya? I paid this one fifty bucks just to do one fly-by and he wanted it up front at that. Magpies...go figure.:G

Thanks for having a peek-a-boo
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:15 PM   #10

Is that $50 in peanuts, or cracked corn?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote