Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:17 AM   #1

Below are a few samples from the latest waxwing frenzy I was pleased to experience. These are very pretty birds and they are more than fun to watch. However, I'd like to set the camera down some day and just watch them for the sake of watching as I am forever amazed at the things that I miss because my eye is stuck to a viewfinder. Only after download do I realize some of the things that I was blinded to by my frenzy to capture an image.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:01 PM   #2

Gosh those are pretty Norm. You have really done them justice with your expert captures. Sure wish I had the chance to have a tryat getting some shots of them.

P.S. On the exposure question, I know how to bracket but I thought you might be bracketing on the plus side or maybe even that you new what you wanted to set it at. But your answer was very sufficient. I've been practicing doing that.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

I'm not sure you realize this, but these are Bohemian Waxwings, not Cedar Waxwings. Down where I am, these are very rare (a few are found every year, but not in flocks or anything like that.) I've seen large flocks of them in flight, but never sitting in a tree. Ever. (And even then, that was up in Montreal.)

I like the first and third ones a lot. Something bothers me about the second one. I think it's in the pose and maybe the size? Something about it looks slightly unnatural.. even though I'm sure it was actually in that pose.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Something bothers me about the second one. I think it's in the pose and maybe the size? Something about it looks slightly unnatural
Thanks for the comments eric, I'm not sure what you're seeing, but it could have something to do with what I did with my layering and darkening the background since it was quite overexposed. I was shooting into darkened trees so I exposure compensated quite a bit to get the bird thus a need for some darkening of background. As for the bird layeritself, no special treatments on the bird were applied except for a touch of lightening and sharpening. I liked the strange position of this one, somewhat lengthy, elongatedand unnatural, which was one of the characteristics that attracted me to this file. And thanks for the ident verification, I knew these were bohemians and this is the second time I've found myself in the thick of a group of them. I am personally more attracted to the bohemians as I think they are more colorful overall.

Thanks Houston, and good luck with the bracketing. I rarely if ever get it right the first time around so I bracket alot. Cheers.

Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:59 PM   #5

Great shots Norm. These are really pretty birds. See the Cedar variety here
during the warm months, don't ever recall seeing these guys. The second shot
looks almost like he is really upset over something. Usually branches across
the bird are distracting. But in the last shot, it almost helps with the impression he
is ducking under it.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:11 PM   #6

Thanks woodmeister, and I agree with you on the branch in the last one, which is one of the reasons I posted it. I had 3 others of the same bird but the branch wasn't positioned so well as the bird had not yet bent down so it was across it's breast and didn't add one iota to the photograph. I particularly liked the shadows with the little roundknobsfalling on the breast in this one, giving it a sort of 3-dimensionality that otherwise would not have existed.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:46 PM   #7

More nice shots Norm.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I love those birds. I've only seen one this year around here. Would love to catch one close up somewhere and add him to the growing collection.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Again, nice shots.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote