Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 22, 2002, 9:17 PM   #1

Default Strange Bird -

Wild Animal Park - San Diego, CA

EOS-1D 100-400 IS at 400mm F/6.3 ISO 100 1/250th

Lin

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 4:52 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2002, 11:19 PM   #2

I guess! Looks like a cross between a turkey and a Great Blue. Maybe it's a Crane of some kind. In any event, it's a very nice photo.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 1:17 AM   #3

Default Wattled Crane

They're odd-looking, aren't they?
RonReznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 6:47 AM   #4

Default That's sure descriptive!!

Thank's Ron,
I didn't have a clue what this guy was called. It makes you wonder how and why these strange adaptations developed. I suppose the "wattle" must allow some unique vocalizations as with the turkey, but what the heck is the purpose (if there is any) of the color and texture of the skin at the base of the beak?

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jun 23, 2002, 10:35 AM   #5

Here's some information on the crane:

Wattled Crane Info

The red part at the base of the beak gets deeper red during mating season and duller otherwise, so it's probably part of the bird's mating display. Emphasis on probably -- I'm not at all certain.
RonReznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 11:04 AM   #6

Now there is a face only a mother could love. You sure are coming up with some strange looking birds, nothing like that around here.
How do you like that 1D by now, the only complaint I have with the D60 is getting a focus lock indoors with low light. I shot a wedding last week and the reception hall was not that well lit. Can’t complain too much, out of 380 shots 350 were keepers. The 50mm 1.4 was by far the best lens, the 28-135 I used for the outdoor shots, the Tokina 20-35-2.8 failed miserable indoors. The lens I should have had was the Canon 28-70L-2.8. I have been hearing rumors of a 24-85L-2.8 Canon is coming out with, now that would be perfect.
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 3:09 PM   #7

Default Hey Ron & Tom...

Ron - I suspect that it is indeed a mating display adaptation. That would make more sense than any other explanation - if there really is one at all. Sometimes we look for "reasons" for things which really don't require an explanation. Humans have problems with answers like "it just is" - HA!

Tom,
I do really like the 1D - my D30 has been getting much less use, but I'm still on a list for the D60. I'm planning a trip to Churchill to shoot Polar Bears in October, and would love to take a D60 and the 1D rather than the D30.

I think you really need to invest in an ST-E2 if you are going to be doing much in the way of low light photography. You will get perfect focus with it and it's good to around 50 feet. Then if you ever need to use strobes you can use it for what it's really intended for.

Best regards,

Lin