Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:54 PM   #1

More profiles of the bohemian waxwing group that I encountered on the weekend: Canon 200/1.8 with 1.4x extender on Mark II body.

FOCUS ON SHADOWS

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:23 PM   #2

Hey Norm, these have to be the most beautiful pics I have seen for a long time !!

I can only imagine that there were no previous responses because everyone was too dumbstruck with awe to write anything.

I notice little buds on the trees - Spring is in the air !!!

[my wife is very intrigued by your yellow tail tips in the bottom pic]

REALLY great stuff
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:26 PM   #3

Thanks Jake for resurrecting these from the dust bin of past posts. Shadows can be a very subjective undertaking and I'd guess that some just plaindon't like 'em much. I personally love shadowy works if the shadows and such are in the right place and present a mood thatdraws me. That was the case withthese and I'm pleasedto hear that you and your best side also see some promise in these shots and are sometime fans of the shadows.:-)

cheers
Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:18 AM   #4

Norm, light in it's straight plain self can be just that - plain, however, shadows [which are also justdegrees of intensity of light] add contrast and mood to the situation/photo, so.... UP THE SHADOWS!!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:18 AM   #5

wonderful shots, a lovely looking bird. I really like the shot with the seed in its mouth.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:57 AM   #6

Hi Normcar, To me its amazing how you have captured these shots with light in the eye and also the colors of the bird standing out so well.Most of thetrees and bushes in my yard where the little guys dart to for cover are so thick that when they get there they are prety much hidden.

BTW UPS delivered my new ball head yesterday. Haven't tried it out yet but I'm sure I will like it. I'm really getting anxious for some time off from work to go somewhere other than my b.y. Oh I almost forgot, of these three pics I think my favorite is the first one. It's so sharp with the light on the face and breast and the little red spot on the tail just sets it off.

Cheers

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:40 PM   #7

Thanks, alady, for having a look here. It's actually a shrivelled up berry. The waxwings have been known to get supremely snot-faced drunk on fermented berries. However, these ones are shrivelled up and rock hard (the berries, not the birds). The worst that could happen with these, I suspect, would be a broken beak or a throat stickup (the birds, not the berries). :-)

Houston, thanks to you as well and good luck with that ball-head. If you've never used one you will definitely like it's fluid movement in comparison to the restricted alternatives.

Cheers
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:34 PM   #8

REally nice study in light. I like them a lot.

The second shot with the dive and the berry with perfect focus on the head is just showing off!! haha I am amazed that you can get perfect focus on the head on a shot like that, awesome.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:54 PM   #9

Thanks zoomn, if I can't get a bead on the head I usually won't even shoot, and the eyeball of the head is the bulls-eye so the head needs to be at least half turned my way or I won't waste a shot. Perhaps it's because I've discovered that shutters do have a lifespan that ends. :lol: