Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:05 PM   #1

Below are three movement and three stationary shots taken in the past few days. Most were done in order to test the Canon 400/5.6L and 1.4x extender wide open at F8 for AF tracking and sharpness:

MOTION

STILL

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:15 PM   #2

Ok, those are probably some of the best shots I seen. Please, tell me you aren't still thinking of taking that lens back.
Norm, you have outdone yourself.....again. Those are superb.

The Waxwings are particularly excellent.
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:37 PM   #3

Thanks smac, actually, the two waxwing shots are with the 200/1.8 and 1.4xextender and the last 3 with the 400/5.6 with 1.4x extender. I could only find geese to track today, and that from a distance, so the jury is still out on how well the slower lens will track with small birds but it does seem to do okay with larger ones. And it seems as well to pass the sharpness test when extender is mounted. So I'll probably keep it just for the sake of the560mm distance. I wasn't expecting it to perform as well as the 200/1.8 so I'm not too disappointed about that. It seems to be a good lens and will serve it's purpose as a good long light portable lens.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:04 PM   #4

Yup, you got a keeper here with this lens for sure. Detail is very good. The in
flight shots are excellent as usual.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:06 PM   #5

WOW. What else can I say.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:29 PM   #6

Normcar,

You know I have been watching the internet photo sites for almost a year now and day in and day out you post more motivational stuff than anybody else I am aware of on a regular basis. You just seem to have a knack for getting the good shots. Skill meets luck meets opportunity.

The flying waxwing is great and the detail and color on your other shots is amazing.

Great stuff!!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:43 PM   #7

Thanks woodmeister and mullen, for taking some time to have a look at these and post a response. I know full well thatmore often than notit's difficult to get even a few seconds to post a response -- especially when on dialup-- so I even more appreciate that you visit the photos on a regular basis. I especially appreciate you commenting on these as I was hoping for some feedback on the lens.

Zoomn, that's about the nicest compliment I've received and it is sincerely appreciated. Sometimes it's difficult to stay motivated on grey and overcast days or in winter when one can't get out more than a few times a month at best. So words like yours are the ones that keep a body motivated to go out and get at it and to keep on plugging away. I especially appreciate your comments here as they will be very helpful in my decision making on this lens as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to get some more cash to buy another 50-500 (I miss that lens alot and I'm sure somewhere down the line I'll be picking up another one).

Cheers all.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:54 AM   #8

Hey great photos norm. I always shoot at F8 and 400 ISO for birdlife. I am wondering if it is worth shooting at 100 or 200 ISO. I have no IS lenses so that has been my main reason for shooting at ISO 400. Any opinions on this???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:36 AM   #9

WOW. Just when I think I've seen the very best photos possible . . . along comes some more to prove me wrong. Please keep them coming - I am really enjoying being wrong!!
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:29 PM   #10

Quote:
...am wondering if it is worth shooting at 100 or 200 ISO. I have no IS lenses so that has been my main reason for shooting at ISO 400. Any opinions on this???
With the Rebel I have no problem going to ISO 400 and definitely would use it rather than 200 if my goal was to shoot action. I try to get as much shutter as possible without turning the F-number into a laugh. I would probably rob some light from aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation (dropping no more than 1/3rd) rather than shutter speed, unless I'm in a panning situation where I can make a clear sweep following the bird in one specific direction. Image Stabalization doesn't significantly weigh into the equation for me -- and I don't ownone lens with IS--because my shutter speeds are almost never lower than the inverse rule (at 400mm I would be no less than 1/400th x 1.3 sensor ratio[for the Mark II] = 1/520th of a second. If it needs to be less than that I'll use a monopod or tripod, depending on how much less it needs to be.

Suze, thanks so much for the generous comments!