Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:46 PM   #1

More in my quest to get a good picture of a redwing. These are REALLY tough birds to get a good picture of. Getting a good exposure is quite a chore, I am learning a lot in my quest however.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:06 PM   #2

These are some of the best redwing photos that I've seen, primarily because of the dynamic saturation in that lens that gives a sheer sheen to the black feathers(the part that I miss alot), extreme detail and sharpness on account of obvious work on exposure technique, and, not least, the mood evoked by the subjects themselves doing what they do best, screeching from the tip of a reed or bullrush.

superb
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:58 PM   #3

Thanks Normcar, that means a lot coming from you.

Do you use one of those better beamers with your flash. I seem to recall reading a post from you and seeing some examples.

Does it make a big difference in bright daylight. The flash. sb600 Nikon does not seem to carry very far in sunlight and am wondering if the beamer would make much of a difference.

I bet I took 600 blackbird photos to get to these. Lot of lessons learned. Mostly what I learned was what not to do and what kind of background works and when to not bother taking the photo.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:43 PM   #4

When to not bother taking the photo is one I was thinking about today. A year ago today I would have been snapping away at everything I saw, no matter what the background, wherethe birdwas, what it was, or how far away it was. Snap-happy.

I certainly see that as one mark of progress and maturation in the art of photography, and it's great to hear that you yourself are thinking more about things like background, angle, and light.

Regarding flashes and light, I've been experimenting as much as I can with ambient light, trying to use the flash of sunlight that arrives and hits some part of the subject. I haven't been playing at all with the beamer yet for a few reasons: 1) as I say I am playing with natural light right now 2) I find that flash scares away subjects and I am presently in an environment where if I don't use flash and scare them away then they will hang around and I'll get more photo ops.

If you want your flash to carry further then get the beamer, though. It definitely seems to push the light, and the device is not expensive.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote