Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:13 PM   #1

Here's a magpie I recently photographed and like the clean groomed look that it has.

Same bird dancing later

And a woodpecker for some color

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:10 AM   #2

With a beak like that, it really looks like Barbie now !!

Nice detail, and the stage show on the second one just fits the bill

[is this the 400 5.6L ??]

Regards

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:43 AM   #3

I love Magpies, they always look like they're dressed up and going someplace fancy. They're pretty clever mimics too.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:17 AM   #4

Some nice shots here Norm. I like the catch in the second magpie shot. My
favorite out of these is the little downy. Exposure and detail is good and the
background is really nicely blurred to set off this little guy. I just love these
cute little buggers.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:03 AM   #5

Norm, [reply not related to your post] last nite I wondered what happened to your avatar that you used to use, I really thought you no longer used one, then when I got my magnifying glass out, I realised it is still there in diminutive form [maybe slightly changed]

Also, I see erics and geoffs have disappeared from the scene, hopefully to "fetch" some more great shots, it would be pity if they have moved on to stardom and forgotten their roots, us normal people have learnt [and still are learning] such a lot from the likes of you and them and others not mentioned

Regards

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:26 AM   #6

The Magpie pics are really good Normcar and the pose of the one dancing is plaindelightful. But I'm with Woodmeister and my favorite is the Downy. BTW where were you when you took that pic, up another tree or on top of your house!!!! Looks like you were pretty much on the same plane as the bird. I've yet to get a good shot at one of them and they are in my b.y. almost every day. I must be pretty ugly to them cause they sure want let me get very close. :lol:

Cheers

Houston

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:55 PM   #7

[is this the 400 5.6L ??]

Yes, Jake, but I believe the top one was with the 2x converter attached handheld(manual focus) and the other with the 1.4x handheld. The dancer is slightly soft but I liked the positioning of the dancing body so much that I decided to share it.

I love Magpies, they always look like they're dressed up and going someplace fancy

I agree, Suzan, andthe more I take pictures of them the more interesting they become. I still think they have an ugly mug, sinister, but it can bring forth some interesting portraits and mood evoking works.

Thanks Woodmeister, I appreciate the words.

I really thought you no longer used one, then when I got my magnifying glass out, I realised it is still there in diminutive form

Jake, as we get older we shrink :-) As for eric and Geoff, they pop in from time-to-time. Geoff indicates that he is busy these days and eric is probably out looking for more owls. If they decide to become strangers then the forum will definitely be at a loss. I can't imagine that they will do such a thing, though.Situations and plans sometimes makeit difficult to be a regular contributor as both you and I well know.

I must be pretty ugly to them cause they sure want let me get very close

Houston, have you considered a Big Bird camo costume?

Speaking of Camos, I just bought an outhouse camo blind online for 79 bucks US. It only weighs 8 pounds and is supposed to spring to life in seconds. It's big enough for 2 and has peep holes at all 4 sides. Now where do you think I'm going to spend my summer? It should arrive sometime next year, having been shipped ground and all (had no choice, that's the only way they'd ship).

Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:50 PM   #8

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Houston, have you considered a Big Bird camo costume?

Speaking of Camos, I just bought an outhouse camo blind online for 79 bucks US. It only weighs 8 pounds and is supposed to spring to life in seconds. It's big enough for 2 and has peep holes at all 4 sides. Now where do you think I'm going to spend my summer? It should arrive sometime next year, having been shipped ground and all (had no choice, that's the only way they'd ship).

Norm, I have one of those. The exact same one and I use it off and on. Some of my best pics were taken from it. When you get it I want you to tell me how long it takes you to fold it back up and put it back in the bag or box. I can do it now in about a minute but the first time was well over an hour I know. :lol:
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
I can do it now in about a minute but the first time was well over an hour I know.
AACK, that was one of the things I was concerned about so you'd better start typing out the instructions now as my patience with stuff like that is about zero to below zero.

Nice to know that I'll have you to give me some tips, though. And great to hear that you think it's a good product. I was thinking about building one myself but this one just looked too tempting: perfect size, weight, and set up time. They didn't advertise the disassemble time, though. Now I know why.