Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:24 AM   #1

A pic of a "Blackshouldered Kite"with the "shakes"

I think they go by a different name elsewhere - Elanus caeruleus is the latin name

Quite a "cheeky" little fella, I watched it attacking a Harrier of sorts in mid-air [I think an African Marshharrier], managed to get in a few pics, but not post-worthy. They are resident at the area, going back this week-end, so maybe I can bring back something that is post-worthy
Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:58 AM   #2

Another pic of the same bird taken before I learnt better sharpening tricks, so the one wing is a bit overdone, but I enjoythe take off. The adult bird has red eyes, as is the case with these two, juveniles have yellow eyes.

Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:10 AM   #3

Hey Jake, You've got some really awesome bird photos. I think I saw your Avatar pic in a magazine called Country Life. Is that possible?
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:46 AM   #4

These are just great Jake. You surely do seem to have a broad selection of wildlife to photograph and that is wonderful. I'll be watching for some more of your "post-worthy" pics next week. Haven't been able to get anything to post myself lately as its been raining and dark and cloudy all week.

Cheers

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:07 AM   #5

Hi John, [welcome to the forum, and another fellow South African at that, but we won't tell anyone that you're my nephew, OK !!]

Nope, I don't think it's possible that a pic of mine is in a mag, I haven't sent it to anyone, although I did give a copy of a CD of my pics to a pro photographer when we were in the KP [no names mentioned] but I don't think he would have submitted anything ??!!

Thanks for the comments Houston, yes we are pretty much priviledged to have a great variety of wildlife around here [although one has to look for it], and I suppose what we see as common can be very interesting to others. Like Normcar's Magpie, perhaps very common and ordinary there, but a beauty of a bird.

Regards

Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:00 PM   #6

That take-off is excellent, Jake, and the fringe of lighting touches it up real nice. Houston, if it makes you feel any better we're having crappy weather up here the past few days too. Snow...more *&%$ snow. Yes, I know, it's a nice background. And getting shot is probably a better way to die than being hung. Ouch...my bad.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:59 PM   #7

Hey Jake,
Nice photos of this bird. We have the American version here in nothern California. The White-tailed Kite (Elanus leucurus) I love this bird and have been trying for months to get a good shot. We have several pairs that nest in the local area. I found this interesting note in one of my bird books.

"The AOU in 1983 combined this species with the Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus) of Africa, southern Europe, and Asia, but recent studies show that it is quite distinct. The AOU in 1994 has again recognized the White-tailed Kite as a separate species, Elanus leucurus"
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:45 PM   #8

Nice in flight shot Jake. really cool looking bird.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote