Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:45 PM   #1

Have you ever taken that perhaps never to return again shot, only to find that your camera settings were not really what they should have been, and what should have been really good pics, came out disastrous. This weekend, I went walking in the grass field just after the sun hadset, soI set my 20D on iso 1600,[never tried it before]Aperture priority at it's widest, 100-400L 5.6, than out pops this grass owl [out of the grass, of course], and anyway, I managed to get in about 15 shots as it swooped over me, turned around, swooped some more, and back again. I thought there would have to be something nice in the memory bank, but unfortunately the poor light combined with the high iso gave 15 low quality pics. I salvaged this one as best as I could via PS

[Maybe this is where a f2.8 lens is required??!!]

Perhaps someone has a few ideas on how it SHOULD be done ?

Regards

Jake

Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2

Another that looks more like a painting than a photo, but could have looked really great with a lower iso and better exposure

Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:42 PM   #3

I thought that was the kind of thing only I would do. These two shots and probably most of the others would have been great had you had it right.:sad:. But I'm sure that with the great selection of good stuff to photograph you will make up for it soon.:-)

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:00 PM   #4

Thanks Houston, back to the drawing board to learn some more [which makes this one very interesting hobby]

This is probably the best time of year for photography [here's me, the very seasoned photographer having beendoing it now for a whole year and two months!!], the light is greatmost of the day, not as harsh as mid-summer, socheers to what's to come. [I really enjoyed your sisken shot] thanks for the comments on our drought situation, the local paper reported that our dam is now sitting at 89%, which is just fantastic, seeing it had dropped to 40.2% a month ago. This should give us enough water to last the winter.

regards
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:46 PM   #5

Well, Jake, it don't look too shabby to me, after all, you got the bird. Had you not had your iso set so high you may not have even rescued these ones, and the first one shows off both bird and colors nicely. Of course with a 2.8 aperture you would have had more light but your DOF would have been smaller and you might have gotten a well-lit flying blur.

I'd say stop saying if and give yourself a pat on the back for getting the bird with available resources, the elements of a good photographer.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:17 AM   #6

Thanks Norm, I suppose that is why I set the iso to 1600 in the first place, I thought, rather get something then nothing, it's only in hindsight that in checking the exif, I see that I could have done better with a lower iso, there seems to have been enough light available, however, this is what makes for a learning process. thanks for stopping by.