Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:28 AM   #11

My favorites are "all of them". You really post some very nice and interesting photos Jake. And give my compliments to your Fay as she is a very beautiful Grass bird.

Regards

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:50 PM   #12

Thanks Houston, I will pass on the compliments [she wasn't very happy when I told her this morning that I had put a pic of her on the forum !!]

Looking forward to some more from you as well !!??

Regards
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:45 PM   #13

The first three are my favorites, but all very nice. Thanks for posting.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:23 PM   #14

Outstanding series Jake. Man o man, can Spring Bucks jump or can't they?
All the shots are terrific. A great peak at the more exotic end of wildlife.

Cheers,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:42 PM   #15

Quote:
[she wasn't very happy when I told her this morning that I had put a pic of her on the forum !!]
Jake, shame on you. Seriously, I hope you haven't been grounded for too long.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:34 PM   #16

Nice work Jake. You have some real adventure there in S. Africa. Thw wildlife is beautiful. I have heard about the grass bird. You must be very cautious about these as I have heard that once they have their eye on you, it is for life.
The grass bird may be the most beautiful shot of all, conisdering the danger you were in when taking the shot.
Any chance you could share the camera, lense and settings used when you post. It could really help us poor souls who don't have a clue.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:38 PM   #17

Wow! That is a great series of photos! Thanks for sharing them with us! They are all very clear and crisp. My wife and I love animals. Seeing them in the wild like that is a real treat.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:36 AM   #18

Thanks again all forviewing and the time taken to comment
Quote:
Any chance you could share the camera, lense and settings used when you post. It could really help us poor souls who don't have a clue.

Golfer, I'm using a Canon 20D with a 100-400 lens, as for the settings, I tend to set the camera on Aperture Priority most of the time, at the widest, and then iso 400 in less light, 200 at better, [once at 1600 for an owl shot thatcame out [ok?] unless I've found a bird that just NEEDS to be capturedin flight, then Iwill up it to 400 again, even in good light. This advise wasgiven to me bythe marketing manager of Canon SA when I complained to him about the apparant softness of my pics, and it has worked out well so far [although the softness issue is really more of learning to post-process correctly as is Canon's policy of giving the photographer more control of the pic after it's shot than to let the camera do the work. This has been {still is}a HUGE learningcurve for me]

I have been trying a bit of reducing theaperture to f8.0 to get sharper pics [as I'm learning from the guys here]. Mostly, I'mstill in toddler stage of learning to get up from crawling, and occassionally taking a step or two, but havinggreat fun doing so.

Incidently, I have just finished reading a book by a pro wildlife photographer, Darrel Balfour, and I noticed he also recommends settingyour camera to Av mode to anticipate any action, then adjust the settings laterif time permits.[oh, he also recommends having two or three camera bodies with different lenses, one super zoom, one medium and one wide angle, he also uses a 600 prime and..and..]

Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:52 PM   #19

Great photos Jake! I hope SA starts exporting those "grassbirds" soon!

-Rafael
rafman448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:32 PM   #20

Thanks Raffael, unfortunately it's a very rare species, in fact this particular"bird" is one of a kind and I've been given the"pleasure"of looking after it until my dying days are done.

Thanks for stopping by !!