Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:15 AM   #1

Here are some shots of more hawks from a much greater distance than the last posting of hawks. The top one I believe to be a Red Tailed Hawk and these ones are extremely difficult to get close to. I got these handheld with the 400/5.6 after they spotted me approaching their high tree perch. The very last one was shot with the 1.4x converter from a great distance near sunset. I liked the color so I posted it as well, even though it was from a sinful distance.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:43 PM   #2

Norm, my vocabulary is limited and I've just about run out of words to describe your most always extremely good photographs. And even your ones here from "a great distance" are no exception. I know that better equipment, as you have, helps and I hope to someday have more of it than I have at present. But this learning curve is something else. BTW when I got off from work yesterday I went to FedX, picked up my new 100-400L and went to the lake. It was very cloudy and raining a little off and on so I didn't get to shoot anything except stationary objects but to say I'm happy with the lens is an understatement of the year. Man, do I like it. Got to get back to work.

Regards

Houston

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the kind words, Houston, and I look forward to seeing some photos with that new 400mm L series lens of yours. I'm sure that you will see a huge difference in just about every area of your photography.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:35 PM   #4

Normcar, these are nice shots. Didn't know you bought the 400f5.6. I am also thinking about selling the 100-400L and getting 400f5.6 as I would be able to use 1.4x with it.

Houston - Congrats in getting the 100-400L.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:34 PM   #5

*bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Normcar, these are nice shots. Didn't know you bought the 400f5.6. I am also thinking about selling the 100-400L and getting 400f5.6 as I would be able to use 1.4x with it.

Houston - Congrats in getting the 100-400L.
Hi bobbyz, nice to hear from you as it's been awhile. I thought those shots you were getting with the Tamron extender were very good so be careful about making a decision that you will regret. I've seen some pretty fine shots with the 100-400, including your own, plus the fact that you have that zoom. The 400 prime is excellent, yes, but also has it's restrictions such as an 11 foot minimum focus and no image stabalization. It's a trade-off either way but if one is getting the shots they want then they have the right lens, no matter which one is in the bag. Thanks for having a look. Tell ya what, I'll trade you straight across for the 100-400 :G
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:38 PM   #6

Normcar dont forget that:

the autofocus doesnt work with the tele converter with the 100-400
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:47 PM   #7

Pierre wrote:
Quote:
Normcar dont forget that:

the autofocus doesnt work with the tele converter with the 100-400
:-)Not to worry, Pierre, the going market price for a used 100-400 is about $300 US more than a used 400/5.6 prime. I doubt very much if bobbyz would even consider such a one-sided offer :G
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:11 PM   #8

very nice shots, those feathers are great, are these the sort of feathers the Indians used on their head dress in the past?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:45 PM   #9

I thought I recognized the pose in #2
Attached Images

book_vender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:45 PM   #10

Outstanding as usual Normcar.Sharp as a tack, beautiful colors and right on exposure. Always looking forward to more.
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote