Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1

Hi

I'm find this all quite a steep learning curve since I bought my first SLR (Canon 20D). However I still really enjoying it all.

Anyway I thought I would make the effort to post a shot I took recently using a 70-200 f4 Lens with 2x converter. The bird is actually in flight here and I have done what I feel is best as far as crop is concerned. I never had the full bird in the middle to begin with, ie the bottom right hand edge hasbeen unchanged. As it stands it looks like he is about to take off from a branch or something.

I was quite happy with it as it was the first time I used the AI servo mode. Although saying that I did take about 70 shots and I've maybe only got one or two I liked.

Any comments that you have will be very welcome. Plus of course any help.

AsI have said this is the first time I have posted a shot and am not sure if I have processed thiscorrectly or efficiently. It took me quite a while to get from raw to jpeg via tiff, noise reduction, sharpening, cropping and resizing. Basically I tried all of the above in various combinations before I got feed up and posted. I would be interested if someone couldbriefly outline (or point me to a goodarticle) showingmea goodwork-flow for achieving a final large tiff file for printing and also one for smaller Jpeg for web, with NR resizing and sharpening in the correct order. At the moment I'm a bit lost. Does this make any sence?

Thanks again, and great web site.

Attached Images

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2

welcome, thats a nice shot and the size is right for the forum. :-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3

thanks,

the size bit was easy, I just had a look at what the general size was that was being posted... ie width 800, and did the same.. :idea:

Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:21 AM   #4

Beautiful shot. The eye is in sharp focus! Post more when you can.

Thomas.
ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:25 PM   #5

Great shot and I like your choice of crop. It appears to me that your workflow is working nicely. Your work even sharpens a bit more very nicely without any discernable anomalies or fringing. Color is also very good. I see nothing to criticize, personally, and think you'veoffered a successfulfirst posting, Ian.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:32 PM   #6

Nice shot.

My simple workflow is convert RAW to jpeg in C1LE. Crop (if required) Level adjust in PS elements, color saturation if needed, sharpening. Resize, sharpenand save for the web in jpeg with more compression. I use jpeg files for printing (compression level 10) and don't see any problems. Tiffs are too big.

Here is better flow from Greg Downing at naturescapes.net

http://www.naturescapes.net/042005/gd0405.htm
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 3:44 AM   #7

Thanks indeed for the warm welcome,

I have one or too others that i will try to post over the next few weeks. It seems my effort has come out on the screen as well as I could have hoped. It is just the amount of time it took me to get there, as I think Normcar mentioned - without any anomalies or fringing. I was getting some of thatwhen I did some post processing in the wrong order.

I just have to tie down the right way again first time so that it doesn't take me all day, next time..... lol.

It's good fun this. :-)

Thanks again for all your views and help.

Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:05 AM   #8

Hi again,

Here is a few more from the same day.
Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:07 AM   #9

Forgot to say..... these four were taken consecutively.
Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:08 AM   #10

up up
Attached Images