Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:05 PM   #1

The rain stopped, the sun is shinning and it was a very nice day today. These are a few that I got today after getting home from work and one that I got on the way home.

All taken with the DRebel and 100-400L. No TC on these.

ISO 400, 1/320th, F5.6 - Resized, levels, FM and NR.

1. Brown Thrasher
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:13 PM   #2

ISO 400, 1/80th, F5.6 - Cropped some, resized, levels, FM and NR

2. Another Brown Thrasher. I couldn't coax him out of the leaves on this one so I took it anyway. I thought it turned out good.
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:21 PM   #3

On this one I was experimenting with exposure comp and it turned out a little dark but I managed to recover it somewhat with fill flash.

ISO 400, 1/800th, F5.6 - Cropped, resized, levels, FM, NR.

3. Yet another Brown Thrasher
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:32 PM   #4

On the way home today I spotted this white bird in a tree top so I turned around and headed back. I got as close as I could without wading. As Normcar says, It was a sinful distance away and high in the tree top, so I had to crop heavily. It looked so pretty that I just had to try it. Did the best I could with it. By the pictures in my book it looks like a Snowy Egret except the bill should be black.

ISO 400, 1/1600th, F5.6, Exp comp of -1 step. - Cropped, resized, FM and NR.

4. Some kind of Egret
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:57 PM   #5
DBB

Hi Houston

The Brown Thrasher is such a beautiful bird, and does this without any spectacular colors. The first two shots are just great.

It's a Great Egret, by the way, the wedding feathers (I guess the proper name are breeding or mating) give it away, and the feet are right.

Finally, I notice on this board a reluctance to post an image that can't be blown up. This last image of the Egret, is a superb example of why posting birds - With perspective and context is often as revealing as the tightest close-up

Great shot!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:41 AM   #6

As Dave says, Houston, these are just great, spectacular, especially the eyes. You are really getting the eyes nice here. Didn't you know that while lenses attract birds. They all want their picture taken but they want to be photographed with only the best lenses and that's why they are beginning to come out of the bush for you now :G

I agree with Dave on the tradition of the forum to post only close-up in the face shots of animals without the context and environment. I've been thinking about that sort of thing lately and plan to focus a bit more on environment along with the animal as often a great treat is missed when the crop is too tight. Your Egret in it's environment, especially the perch, adds rather than distracts from the whole.

So far you have been doing that lens great justice. Keep 'em coming.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Finally, I notice on this board a reluctance to post an image that can't be blown up. This last image of the Egret, is a superb example of why posting birds - With perspective and context is often as revealing as the tightest close-up
Quote:
I agree with Dave on the tradition of the forum to post only close-up in the face shots of animals without the context and environment. I've been thinking about that sort of thing lately and plan to focus a bit more on environment along with the animal as often a great treat is missed when the crop is too tight. Your Egret in it's environment, especially the perch, adds rather than distracts from the whole
Houston, This is something that I'm also beginning to look at, particularily after reading a publication by a pro wildlifephotographer {Daryl Balfour}, where he suggests a few things like not JUST using close cropped, high zoomed images, but using the environment as part of the pic. An example he showed was a pic of a Rhinocerous in a desert typeenvironment wwith a HUGE dune behind it, the rhino seemed smallin perspective, but the overall pic wasreally good.

Another tip which I find quite good iseg : if the animal/bird is facing a certain direction, leave a little space in front of it to create a "tension" as to "what is it looking at"

We learn all the time. back to your shots, they are very good, the thrasher in the leaves IS good, even [especially]with the leaves, and that shot with the egret, as mentioned by DBB is fantastic

Good work Houston, and looking forward to the weekends results from you
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 4:39 PM   #8

Nice ones Houston. The great egret shot is good.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:37 PM   #9

Dave, Normcar, Jake and Bobbyz. My goodness you guys no how to make afellow feel good. I really do appreciate your generous words. I'm no where near where I want to be with this new love I've found but thanks to youall I'm on the way. Now please don't stop telling me when something is not quite right cause thats how I've gotten this far.

I've just got in from my excursion to the bird festival and haven't even unloaded all my flash cards yet so I have lots of work to do. Hope some of them will be worthy.

Houston
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:47 PM   #10

Great shots Houston. Brown Thrashers tend to stick to themselves in deep shade, at least around here. Nice sharp color, especially the eyes. Look forward to more. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote