Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:07 PM   #1

Saw this chap in our garden today,like little jack horner, he found his plumb
Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:11 PM   #2

Another treat, this little lady was in our kitchen cupboard, so we relocated her to the garden. It's a female Brown Widow, direct cousinof the Black Widow,toxic, but not as dangerous as the Black Widow. As they get older, they turn black, and have a bright orange hour-glass figure under the abdomen. i think she'd be happier in the garden [and so will we!!]

Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:26 AM   #3

nice shots, that is an unusual looking bird:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi Jake,

Nice shots, that Brown Widow is a beauty. I love spiders and so does my wife, although she has a phobia about beetles in general and Christmas Beetles in particular - go figure.

Having a baby changes your perspective though, we had to kill a couple of spiders for just about the first time I can ever remember. We had a black widow in the garage, it's web was above where we often left Lauren's pram. And a nice palm-sized rain-spider took a liking to her room, they're quite territorial unfortunately and if we find them anywhere else we just try to move them on, but they are quite prone to returning to a favourite hideaway. Now I'm happy to take a chance on being bitten by a rain-spider, but with a 12 week old baby (as she was at the time) it's a different story. :-(

My grandmother nearly lost an eye when she was a baby when she was bitten by a spider and it affected her vision all her life.

Once Lauren is 2 or 3 the rain-spiders will be safe indoors again, the little widows though are pretty frightening.

Here's a little demo photo for people who think it might be harsh on the poor old rain-spider. This one is medium-sized and is being transported from our kitchen to about 100m away from the house. The one that took a liking to Lauren's room was at least 50% bigger.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5

Wow, that's quite a mama !!

True, as far as kids are concerned, one has to take the best option and give your family preference over the animal - this brown widow was going to stay, but where it lived is very close to where our dogs[all of 1.5kg each] food bowls are, so it was possible they would get bitten, so ... she had to go

We don't get the black widows here, but further north [where you came from] they do, however, we do get the violin spider, also a nasty [deadly] spider.

You must be enjoying the spring and all the joy it brings

Thanks for looking in