Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:18 PM   #11

suze wrote:
Quote:
Absolutely super! I've never seen a merlin before :-) The moose is great as well -it almost looks like the fur is glistening.:-)
Thanks Suze, the fur on the moose is what remains of the winter coating. I like the texture it provides to the photo. I'd never seen a Merlin in real life before this one happened by either, great springtimetreat for me and it appears as though it may hang around the area for awhile...that is, until it realizes how tiny this little town is, then it may move on to bigger ops.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:20 PM   #12

Ottawa-Canada wrote:
Quote:
Love the first shot of the merlin on fence post - the background color works very well.
Thanks Ottawa, I appreciate your visit and glad you think the background is okay.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:24 PM   #13

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
The moose shots look better to me (IMHO). Did you use Bigma for those also? I need to get some 500 somday, 400 just doesn't cut it.

Thanks bobby, I like the moose better too as the light was much better and I didn't need to superimpose a background in order to make it presentable. The light for this Merlin was amiserable morning grey misty junkish mess so I'm happy that anything came of it. I used Bigma podded to the car window for the Merlin shots, yes, and monopoded for the moose. I honestly don't see a huge amount of reach difference between the 400 and 500. It's slightly more, but hardly worth thousands of dollars if one is considering the 500/4 IS. HOWEVER, the 500/4 takes a 2x extender wonderfully and that adds up to 1000mm's, which is a real temptation for sure :G