Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:09 PM   #1

Here are a few more shots of the Merlin as well as the moose. The Merlin shots had drab grey backgrounds as the light was horrible so I added backgrounds in order to get rid of the unsavory greyish white blandness.

This pugnatious bird had captured what I believe to be a Starling and was feeding on it when I happened upon the scene. Aparently this bird will kill larger birds too. It's a very nasty little guy if not on your side.

Camera: Canon EOS Mark II; Lens: Sigma 50-500; ISO 400; shutter 1/320th; F/5.6 to 8

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:11 PM   #2

Absolutely breathtaking shots. Sorry for the novice question but what do you mean when you say you added backgrounds? Again, great job with the shots!
mgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:37 PM   #3

mgrogan wrote:
Quote:
Absolutely breathtaking shots. Sorry for the novice question but what do you mean when you say you added backgrounds? Again, great job with the shots!
Thanks grogan, very kind of you and no apology necessary, please. The reference to added background simply means that I applied magic wand selection and contraction and expansion of the selection in order to apply a background color more suitable to the color of the bird. The original color was a very ugly greyish white that was so apparent that it distracted from attention to the bird itself.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:53 PM   #4

Wow Norm these are breathtaking shots. And I love that first one of the Moose. And yes it was fun shooting the Waxwings in the Mulberry tree. I must have shot over a hundred. I will probably post some more of them later. BTW you missed the last one. It takes me a long time on dial up to get them all posted one at a time.

Cheers

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 1:05 AM   #5

Stunning shots! I really like the moose shots. Don't see those guys around here.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:00 AM   #6

Absolutely super! I've never seen a merlin before :-) The moose is great as well -it almost looks like the fur is glistening.:-)
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:48 AM   #7

Love the first shot of the merlin on fence post - the background color works very well.
Ottawa-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:56 AM   #8

The moose shots look better to me (IMHO). Did you use Bigma for those also? I need to get some 500 somday, 400 just doesn't cut it.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:16 PM   #9

Houston wrote:
Quote:
Wow Norm these are breathtaking shots. And I love that first one of the Moose. And yes it was fun shooting the Waxwings in the Mulberry tree. I must have shot over a hundred. I will probably post some more of them later. BTW you missed the last one. It takes me a long time on dial up to get them all posted one at a time.

Cheers

Houston
Thanks Houston, I caught the last one of your waxwings too, great shot. I know that you are enjoying photographing them, as I have myself. They were simply waiting around for you to get that lens so they could look as pretty as a southern belle :-)
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:16 PM   #10

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Stunning shots! I really like the moose shots. Don't see those guys around here.
Thanks mullen, I usually don't see to many here myself so this was a treat for me.