Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1

Saw a great sequence of events today. We were at a beauty spot in Southern Spain and I watched this beautiful bird circling the river and then make its final appoach. Unfortunately, I only had a 70-200L on so had to crop this a bit. It wasn´t until I got home about 10 minutes ago that I noticed the fish making his escape to the left!!!

Maybe Eric the "birdman" could tell me what it is...there are a lot of buzzards, eagles and other birds of prey around here, but not sure what this one is?

Thanks,

Nick

Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:33 AM   #2
DBB

Great Picture!

The Ospray is an international bird, but the colors vary from continent to continenet. Looks like an Ospray, although the beak sort of looks bigger, so I can't be definitive.

But I can definitely say great shot!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3

I would also say that it is an osprey. Nice shot, especially I like that big fish in the air :-)
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:55 AM   #4

Perhaps a Booted Eagle...is that fish smiling? :blah:

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:09 PM   #5
DBB

edorfox wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps a Booted Eagle...is that fish smiling? :blah:

...Ed
Yeah, the beak just doesn't look right...:-)

And your remark about the fish is certainly on target. He must have spotted the bird a moment before it hit, and made a wise choice....

And speaking of identification, is that one of those ornamental Carp (goldfish) that they keep in ponds?

dave
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:27 PM   #6

I guess it would be easy to think that the fish had been photoshopped in (I presume that is what you may think due to the Goldfish remark), but I don´t do that, or if I do I let people know. I had a 20d firing about 30 shots of the whole saga. The eagle (if that is what it is) seemed to make a misjudgement and ended up almost totally submerged! You can also see the fish in this pic as the bird cocked the whole thing up! In the other pic, you can see just how wet his plumage is...he shook like a dog whilst in flight...quite something to watch!

Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:28 PM   #7

Next...
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:01 PM   #8
DBB

Freefly wrote:
Quote:
I guess it would be easy to think that the fish had been photoshopped in (I presume that is what you may think due to the Goldfish remark), but I don´t do that, or if I do I let people know. I had a 20d firing about 30 shots of the whole saga.
You are completely mistaken! And my remark, was dead serious. Goldfish, are common in New York waters, because people release them. Ornamental Carp and Goldfish are now in waters all over the world because of this trait.

It was a serious request for identification, despite the tone. :-)

If you're picture was taken in North America, where I know my fish, I would be SURE that it was one of those ornamental jobs gone wild, but European fish, (where the carp originates) are not up my alley!

If you look at my first post - it said "Good Shot!"

It DIDN'T say "good photoshop work."

:G

dave
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:05 AM   #9

:-)Oh, Ok...Thanks for clarifying it.....

I did´t know that about the ornamental carp and goldfish in the wild....notsuch a bad thing though, its about time we started putting some fish back into the waters....

Also quite nice to find a bit of Southern spain where there isn´t building work going on, and nature is still thriving!

Thanks for your replies.

Nick