Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1

Yesterday I requested an IDand Woodysworld, Cerambyx and Wagaboo thought it might be a Wood Stork. Today I was able to get a little better look at it and it is most definately a Wood Stork. It rained all day and was still very cloudy when I stopped to check this spot out.I still used exposure comp of -2/3 and the white still washed out. Looks like I need some help on this. Anyhow here they are. Hope you like them.

DRebel, 100-400l. No tc with these - ISO 200, 1/200, F7.1 - Very, very tight crop on this one, darkened some in levels, FM, and NR.

Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:30 PM   #2

This one is full frame, no cropping. ISO 200, 1/200, F7.1
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3

Nice second effort to get closer to this one Houston. In order to solve your whites dilemma you might consider shooting one that exposes the whites correctly, forgetting the background, and another exposing the background correctly, forgetting the bird. Then combine the two using layers in post processing.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:51 PM   #4

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Nice second effort to get closer to this one Houston. In order to solve your whites dilemma you might consider shooting one that exposes the whites correctly, forgetting the background, and another exposing the background correctly, forgetting the bird. Then combine the two using layers in post processing.
:?Thanks norm but I have no idea how to combine two layers as I haven't figured that part of elements out yet. And on the different exposing do I use AE lock for that. I suppose I still have lots of studying to do.

Houston
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:34 PM   #5
djb

does the drebel have exposure bracketing? if so try baracketing from -1 stop to +1 stop in a burst of 3. i know the 20D can do this. not sure about the rebel. nice shots as they are. wish i had some!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:15 AM   #6

Hi Houston : I have experienced a similar problem with the 20D, and in particular, with the dark green background and white bird. The white bird is overexposed, the green, underexposed, and I haven't found the solution yet [i still have to tryagain in a similar situation]. My thoughts are to use partial metering and expose on the bird, or even spot metering [not sure if the Rebel has that, It possibly does]. The problem I foresee with Norms double exposure [correct me here Norm] is the bird would have to be totally stationary, and you would have to have the camera on a tripod and shoot the exact scene.

Failing that, one could use multiple layers, lighten the dark areas, then do a bit of background erasing on the bird ?? This does seem to work. Another post processing solution is to use aShadow-Recovery pluginby Fred Marinda, then Tom Overton also gave a very good tip a few weeks ago, the manual way of doing shadow recovery, fairly simple but effective.

Anyway, Houston, I like the full frame shot a lot, it's nice to see the bird in it's environment, the dark and light colors DO compliment each other

Regards
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:14 AM   #7

Another trick is to shoot with proper exposure on the bird and bring out the dark surroundings with the enhance -Adjust lighting -shadows/highlights tool (Elements 3). Norm's way is the more professional way, though.
Attached Images

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:32 PM   #8

Thanks Dennis, Jake and bmullen. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help with this. I've tried bracketing and it works on some things but not for me on a white bird with a dark background. It may be as Jake mentioned, more so with a dark green background. And yes Jake, the Rebel does have Partian metering, called Spot metering on other brands of cameras. I've just started trying that and not sure about the results yet. Do you remember where you saw TomOverton's tip. I might try it if its fairly simple. I haven't gotten into the layer work yet. Don't have enough time. Gosh I need a tutor. I have a few more taken yesterday oftwo Great Egrets that are somewhat better as long asI don't crop much. If I have time to get them processed I'll post some of them tonight or tomorrow night.

Regards to all
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:19 PM   #9

Here's how I would have worked this photo, Houston. My result is very similar to mullen's. I cropped mine where I probably would have had this been my own photo. Hope you don't mind:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:35 PM   #10

Of coarse I don't mind Norm and mullen either. Both of your photo's looked better than mine after I got thru with it. But mine was more like yours norm until I kept darkening it to try to get the white to look better. That didn't work. I think I've done a little better on the WHITE Egret that I've just posted. See what you think of it.

Houston