Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 3, 2005, 12:04 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
bmullen@comcast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,435
Default

I've never seen better than those first two. AMAZING! The way you were able to get those in flight shots of those speed demons is amazing, too. We have a type of swallow that dart around the lake at my favorite spot, and I know how fast they are.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:51 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
woodmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 838
Default

Great action shots Norm. I like the second photo the best. The contrast and
color is really nice. Really a pretty bird when they stop to get a good look.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 5:04 AM   #13
Member
 
roncur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 77
Default

Fabulous shots Normar & thanks for the sharing the method used to capture.

roncur
roncur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:29 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
aladyforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,964
Default

wonderful shots Norm, Ive never seen a blue swallow.

maybe you can help me.

I need some advise as to settings for a 100-300 4.5-5.6 lens on an overcast dull day.

F8 at 400 ISO just does not seem to get sharp shots on these kind of days. I notice you seem to be able to get bright enough shots in this kind of weather.

any suggestions?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
bobbyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,423
Default

I need a 1dMK2, I do, I do...

Nice shots Normcar. These guys/gals are too fast for my camera/lens.


bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:33 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,748
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I've never seen better than those first two. AMAZING! The way you were able to get those in flight shots of those speed demons is amazing, too. We have a type of swallow that dart around the lake at my favorite spot, and I know how fast they are.
Thanks mullen, I was really pleased when the first 2 decided to perch themselves right in front of me.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:35 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,748
Default

woodmeister wrote:
Quote:
Great action shots Norm. I like the second photo the best. The contrast and
color is really nice. Really a pretty bird when they stop to get a good look.
Indeed they are pretty, especially the blue ones. For some reason these Tree Swallows seemed different than the ones I'd seen last year, less slick and more pleasantly fluffy. Glad you like them.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:37 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,748
Default

roncur wrote:
Quote:
Fabulous shots Normar & thanks for the sharing the method used to capture.

roncur
Thanks Ron, glad you got some pleasure out of the shots.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:51 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,748
Default

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
wonderful shots Norm, Ive never seen a blue swallow.

maybe you can help me.

I need some advise as to settings for a 100-300 4.5-5.6 lens on an overcast dull day.

F8 at 400 ISO just does not seem to get sharp shots on these kind of days. I notice you seem to be able to get bright enough shots in this kind of weather.

any suggestions?
Thanks Julie, If I were you I'd try opening the lens up to it's maximum in order to get as much shutter as you can, which means 5.6, even if it's a touch soft because you can process that sort of softness out easier than blur IMO.As well, consider that low contrast grey days is the most difficult time to get sharp images because good contrast is in and of itself an element of sharpness, so don't be too annoyed with your lens. I used to get quite upset with the performance of some of my best lenses on grey days until I realized that it isn't the lens, but the fact of low contrast. If you can set up your shot with a background that will provide you with more contrast then that will probably help as well, and do your best to completely avoid any backlight situations. I would say that a grey sky is about the worst possible background for sharpness. In short, for action shots my advice would be: wide open, the highest bearable ISO possible and fastest shutter speed without underexposing because underexposure will cause the most noise in digital images. For non-moving subjects use a tripod or stabalize your lens against a tree, wall, or other,so that you can use a slower shutter, try to lower your ISO as much as possible, use the aperture that your lens gets maximum sharpness at, and hold the top of your lens putting downward pressure on the barrel in order to lower vibrations.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:57 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,748
Default

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
I need a 1dMK2, I do, I do...

Nice shots Normcar. These guys/gals are too fast for my camera/lens.

It's a good camera, yes, but the more I use it the less I find myself using full burst mode as most of the time most of the shots are redundant wastes of actuations. My burst is usually 2 or 3 maximum now and more attention put on following the subject properly. The 200/1.8 is a definite advantage here. If I had to choose between a Mark II and 400/5.6 or a 20D and the 200/1.8 for this sort of shooting, I'd choose the latter.:-)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.