Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 9, 2005, 3:13 PM   #11
djb

Dave, i say sucker too!!! that was the first thing i thought about when looking at the fish.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 6:15 PM   #12

Thanks all for your comments and compliments, it's real nice of you to continue to spice up my day with your words.

PS - Actually, the fish is a carp...but, hey, wait a minute...isn't a sucker a carp?

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 8:45 PM   #13

Normcar these are truly fantastic. The only thing that could make them better is a half decent background as you mentoned. But even without that they are amazing photos.

The first and last photos are my favorites. I am starting to understand that sometimes closer is not better. A little background goes along way in aiding the artful aspects of photos. It is great to get the bird but even greater to get the bird with some other interesting aspects in the photo. Like the first one with the darker background and the discharge from the fish makes it really COOL. The center placing of the subjects works perfects in that photo. The lighting is perfect for setting the mood of a first lightfishing/photography trip as dusk is settling on the lake.

They are all good.

Then the last photo is really an amazing shot. You did an amazing shot of bring life to the birds in that bad light. Usually birds in this type of photo look washed out or the contrast is off and they just don't look right. I see none of thos problems in your photo. Oh for a little blue sky this photo would be National Geographic material. I know how you must feel getting such amazing photos and the light was just now what you would have hoped for. That is what keeps us going back for more. One day we will get that perfect photo.............well...............maybe.

Did you look at the last photo with a less tight crop to show more of he nest. I am thinking about 1/3 less crop would make a very nice photo with enough of the nest in it to give a whole different character.

Put that first and last photo in your honor roll Norm these are right up there with some of your really excellent photo I have see here from you.

How about an encore ofyou Avocet photo where he is sipping water with his wings outstretched. I would love to see that one again. I still think about that photo a lot. Especially this last week when I was at the avocet pond. I sit there with my camera focused and my finger on the button just hoping one will strike that pose. Hasn't happened yet, I will keep trying.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 12:03 AM   #14

Thanks for the very nice compliments, zoomn, and the detailed expose on the photos is very helpful. Knowing that some of the levels correction looks okay on other monitors verifies to me that what I'm seeing on my own is acceptable.

Regarding the crop on the last shot, below is an example with a bit more of the nest and one below it taken in early morning with more color as well as the early morning light shining off the bird, which is kind of nice.

PS - I've got that avocet one stored away somewhere. I'll look for it. I deleted it from the internet since it's been so long and I needed the space.

Old May 10, 2005, 11:04 AM   #15
DBB

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Thanks all for your comments and compliments, it's real nice of you to continue to spice up my day with your words.

PS - Actually, the fish is a carp...but, hey, wait a minute...isn't a sucker a carp?

I really can't think of a higher compliment for a bird shot than to ask people what kind of FISH the bird is holding - the image is that clear.

And NO, you're WRONG, Wrong on both levels, it's a sucker and a sucker is NOT some kind of Carp...

(It might be some kind of Carp I'm not familiar with, but ALL Carp in the Western Hemispehere are imports. And none are suckers - now a Goldish is some kind of Carp)

Dave

PS. I'm editing my post, after takinbg anohter look - It's a SUCKER!
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 2:55 PM   #16
djb

Norm, Dave is correct. That is a sucker. The mouth and body shape are all wrong for a carp. Definitely a sucker. Also, that doesn't look like slime to me. This is spawning season. I'll leave it at that.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:06 AM   #17

Thanks for the correction on the fish guys. As for the slime, well, I still see some coming out of the mouth in photo #3 so I'm sticking to my guns with the mouth slime. :lol: And even if that fish is a sucker, I'll bet it was wishing that it was a carp because that's not the first sucker I've seen that Osprey catch. :G

Honestly, I think it's just a big ol' fish story.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:44 AM   #18
DBB

Now, and answer honestly, if your last name was "Sucker" would you be so "insensitive?"

I think not!

Let's have a bit more respect here!:!:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 8:19 AM   #19

Glad I did not miss these ones:-)Last shot is wonderful
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 8:32 AM   #20
NHL

What is that 'string' like coming out from the SUCKER ???
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote