Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 15, 2005, 11:49 AM   #1

Thought you might interested in this work in progress since you have been a big influence/help in getting me started in this hobby.

Well after may hours at the pond trying to get a shot of the same pose you had last year that inspired me so much. I appreciate your shot even more.

Not only do they very seldom strike that pose but it is very tough to get it in focus and with the correct exposure as their underwing parts are very white.

Anyway I managed to get two of them over the last couple weeks and thought you might like to see them.

This is the best one by far but I suppose the angle could have been worse.

This is the first one I got. Cut the wing tops off and overexposed the under wing, but I it was a learning experience as the next chance I got (above) I did not have those issues. It was also much darker, just at dawn, I needed bit faster shutter speed.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 12:09 PM   #2
DBB

I don't know about Norm, but nthis first picture is awesome!

Great shot!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 12:29 PM   #3

Great poses!!!
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:21 PM   #4
kex

DBB wrote:
Quote:
I don't know about Norm, but nthis first picture is awesome!

Great shot!

dave

you must be kidding. how can you miss norm?

great photos by the way!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 6:04 PM   #5
DBB

kex wrote:
Quote:
DBB wrote:
Quote:
I don't know about Norm, but this first picture is awesome!

Great shot!

dave

you must be kidding. how can you miss norm?

great photos by the way!
Strangely enough I've never actually met Norm. True, his posted images (and I'll bet a good number of his unposted images) are truly great. But then again, I've told him recently (yesterday to be exact, in this very thread) that he should toss them all in the garbage because of "Poor labeling."

Yes, poor labeling has totaly ruined his shots and no one will actually look at them anymore. You doubt this?

Just look over his recent lables in his recent post on Ospreys catching fish - wrong, wrong, wrong...

Than again, well, perhaps you're right....

dave:?
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 9:41 PM   #6

Great work, zoomn, that first one is just beautiful. Your perspective, very low to the ground, works wonderfully with this particular shot, especially since the Avocet's head is low too. I see no problem with the technical here and the thrust of the work completely obliterates any thought of venturing into technicalities.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 9:52 PM   #7

Hi Normcar,

Appreciate you taking a look. I wasn't sure about that first photo when I first saw it on the screen but the more I look at it the more I like it.

If you get a second check out the post of 5 avocet photos a few posts down.

My last bunch you mentioned that I had overblown the saturation on the colors a bit and I backed off some on these. Please let me know if you think this new batch looks better if you are so inclined. I am trying to trust the colors more straight out of the camera and trying to be a little less aggressive with the sharpening.

Thanks
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 10:21 PM   #8

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Hi Normcar,

Appreciate you taking a look. I wasn't sure about that first photo when I first saw it on the screen but the more I look at it the more I like it.

If you get a second check out the post of 5 avocet photos a few posts down.

My last bunch you mentioned that I had overblown the saturation on the colors a bit and I backed off some on these. Please let me know if you think this new batch looks better if you are so inclined. I am trying to trust the colors more straight out of the camera and trying to be a little less aggressive with the sharpening.

Thanks

Well, I didn't notice anything until you mentioned it here so that says it all. Those Nikons are pretty darned good color machines and the Bigma is a great color machine as well. I would be surprised if you needed to do too much with the color on that combination
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote