Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 15, 2005, 9:14 PM   #1

It was difficult choosing photos for this series as I have some technically better shots but I wanted here to spotlight the hard working attitude of this wonderful bird. I stood and watched for an hour as he carved away at this tree, wood flying every which way like buzz-saw refuse. For some reason this one didn't bolt when he saw me. Another nearby did just that but this one just kept on going on:

400/5.6 with and without 2x extender

This is what I initially saw, but from a distance. The sun was in the wrong place but it provided a sort of glow effect that I like. Note the flying woodchips:

I got directly behind him and he stopped briefly, then resumed work. It may be possible that it was just clearing it's head I liked this one for the force of action rather than technical perfection:

It was interesting because then it stopped and climbed into the hole, as if testing to see if it fit. I put on the 2x extender

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 9:45 PM   #2

Normcar these are great. My favorite is the first one. Love the flying wood chips, they really make the photo a special one.

That 2x extender really does a job. What a difference in how close the photos are, brings that bird right in close. I am surprised by how sharp the photos remain even with the extender on. I would have expected to see a very noticeable difference in the detail.

If you get a second to look at it I sent you an avocet post a few posts down below this one. I posted quite a few of them on another post even further below that one.

I
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 10:04 PM   #3

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Normcar these are great. My favorite is the first one. Love the flying wood chips, they really make the photo a special one.

That 2x extender really does a job. What a difference in how close the photos are, brings that bird right in close. I am surprised by how sharp the photos remain even with the extender on. I would have expected to see a very noticeable difference in the detail.

If you get a second to look at it I sent you an avocet post a few posts down below this one. I posted quite a few of them on another post even further below that one.

I

I was recently told to stop my 2x down more in order to get sharper images. I stopped down before this but not as much. I set the F stop to 16 with the 2x and it seems to work much better. If you ever get an extender for the Bigma you might try the same. I have and it does the same sort of thing with the Sigma but not quite so radically.

Thanks for the compliments on these shots, zoomn, this bird has been an important part of my bird photography since it was the one that got me going in the first place. Maybe this one knew that I deserved a bit of a break :lol:
Old May 16, 2005, 9:39 AM   #4

Real great series Normcar.

I like what you got using 2x on 400f5.6. More I see 400f5.6 shots, more I am tempted to switch to it from 100-400L.

This weekend, I tried 1.4xtc on my 100-400 using a tripod with IS off. The lens was at f11 and I was really surprised at the results. Now this was in good light. I will post some later.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5

Outstanding photos Normcar. Not only did you capture a beautiful Pileated Woodpecker, but you got it in action. I've only seen them flying away from me. Wonderful. Maybe someday you'll get a shot at the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 5:56 PM   #6
djb

wow!!! great shpts!! like zoomn, i'm partial to the 1st shot. too bad we can't get a movie mode out of our dSLRs.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 10:07 PM   #7

Thanks all, I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

Dennis, this is one time when I would love to have taken my video camera along. I may just start doing that with the Osprey, documenting in as many ways as possible.