Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 22, 2005, 2:01 AM   #1

Hello.I am the proud new owner of a EOS 20D. Got it almost 2 weeks ago. Well, Last week I bought a canon 70-300 ef and took it out for a test run:| I was kinda disapointed when I looked at the photos. Not as sharp as my Dimage A2 coulda done. Yall have any idea what I did wrong? This one aint to bad. but the others are real soft:sad:
Attached Images

twistedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 6:06 AM   #2

It's hard to tell what the problem may be without the camera settings. Were you using a tripod? What was the ISO setting? Shutter speed, aperature? The photo looks soft and overly contrasty on my monitor. I bet if you include more camera/lens info you'll get plenty of help on this forum. There many knowledgeable photogs here. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 10:42 AM   #3

This photo was shot at iso 400 1/40 f5.6 at 300mm on a tripod
and a remote shuter release
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2005, 10:46 AM   #4

This one 1/15 f5.6 iso 100 @ 300mm
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2005, 11:14 AM   #5
DBB

There are at least two things going wrong.

First, the White Balance is off. You can tell that by the colors of the bird. The second is better, but the "yellow capped night heron" actually is grayish with a white head.

Second, the camera is vibrating. Tripod or no tripod. Normally camera shake is more visible, but that is what is happening here. You need a better tripod or a better head or both.

If your camera has the option of anti shock mirror mode, use it. This mode freezes the mirror in the open position, preventing it from slamming down and vibrating the camera.

It's VERY annoying for normal shooting, but just fine for what you describe.

You might also want to check out RAW mode instead of shooting JPEG...

Dave

PS. Just to rub salt into the wounds, these would have been GREAT shots....:lol:
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 2:02 PM   #6

Hi twisted puppy : there's something VERY wrong here, and I suppose you need to start a process of elimination. The 20D is certainly capable of extremely good pics, what you have here is either a dud lens or camera, or a malfunction between the two, Ie : AFnot working. The EF 70-300 is not Canon's best lens, but it is certainly able to produce good pics, [I think aladyforty uses/used oneon her Rebel]. I would say it's almost impossible to get poor quality shots like these unless it's done on purposeor the equipment is faulty, even hand held. Try another lens, different scenes/situations and determine if the problem is the lens orcamera. The auto white balance works VERY well, I have never needed to change it for any situation, even for various indoor lighting situations. Another issue is the purple fringing on the last pic which is very uncharacteristic of the camera [not sure of the lens].

Regards

{Edit : maybe you could also save the pics without removing the exif data so we could see what overall settings were used, that might go a long way in someone being able to assist??}
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 3:37 PM   #7
DBB

Hi jake

If you look at the images, they are both in focus AND blurred. This kind of blur matches what happens at slow speeds and mirror vibration.

I've actually had this happen to me and only TWO tripods AND anti-mirror settings was able to overcome it. True, in my case the various combination of lenses was twenty inches long, as way out of balance, but it sure looks like the same result.

As for Auto White-balance, well, do you even know if he was using auto? And for that matter, he's obviously tried to "fix" these images...

dave
Old May 22, 2005, 4:09 PM   #8

Quote:
As for Auto White-balance, well, do you even know if he was using auto? And for that matter, he's obviously tried to "fix" these images...

The reason why I think someone could assist better if the full exif data was available. I did a bit of post processing on the pics and they improved quite a bit, but certainly not acceptable - as the chap says, his Dimage would do a much better job.

Maybe another batch of pics could be taken and the results checked ??
Old May 22, 2005, 4:24 PM   #9
DBB

Well, it just may be, as you tactfully (and I appreciate that) point out, that I am "talking through my neck" on the question of White balance...

However, I spent more hours in hell trying to figure out why my pictures didn't look in focus, when I knew they were.

As soon as he said "tripod" I thought "mirror vibration."

And I took a look at some images I took three years ago with my 'scope, 2x enlarger set-up and bingo!

dave
Old May 22, 2005, 5:07 PM   #10

Quote:
"talking through my neck"
Wasn't really intimating that at all, dave - I just felt that the 20D is a very capable machine, and that for pics of the like above to come out of the machine, it would help to assess why they are so poorif we start at the beginning. I'm thinking all sorts of things like maybe the jpeg settings are on maximum compression, maybe the in-camera contrast is on super high, the sharpening on extra low and the white balance on flash or tungsten for an outdoor shot??!! - dunno - maybe it's not a 20D or just a plain faulty camera -- or -- camera shake with mirror vibration ....

Cheers