Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 23, 2005, 8:54 PM   #1

I followed this guy all over a field from one tree to another and from one pole to another. I didn't get the shots I wanted to because the trees, telephone poles and lines seem to always get in the way.

All taken with DRebel and 100-400L from a great distance and cropped a lot.

1. Getting away from me with his/her fish. ISO 400, 1/400, F7.1, exp comp +1.3 at 400mm. Cropped, resized, lev, FM and NR.
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 8:59 PM   #2

2. Still running from me. ISO 400, 1/640, F7.1, exp comp +1.3 at 400mm. Cropped, lev, and FM.
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2005, 9:06 PM   #3

3. Settled on a tree limb to get a few bites before I got too close. ISO 400, 1/160, F7.1, partial metering, exp comp +1.3. Cropped, resized, lev, FM and NR.
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2005, 9:11 PM   #4

4. This is another Osprey in her nest with one young one showing. She never would leave the nest and her hubby never showed up. I waited around for about an hour but had to leave.
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2005, 9:22 PM   #5

5. Still in the nest and with two of the young ones showing. ISO 400, 1/4000, f7.1, partial metering, exp comp +1.7. Cropped, resized, lev, FM and NR.
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2005, 11:57 PM   #6

Fabulous shots of the Osprey, Houston. You must have been almost on top of the bird for those nest shots. My favorite are the closeup nest shots as they show great detail of the bird's eyes and face, which is something that I have been unable to do since the nest is quite a ways away.

These are winners.

By the way, the one carrying the fish is probably the male as the head and tail have been eaten and it is taking the more nutritious stuff to the female at the nest. Either that or this is the portion that the male had previously brought to the female and she has taken off to a limb to eat while dad takes over nest duties.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 12:50 AM   #7
djb

Houston, wow!!! great shots!!! You couldn't have been too far away for the detail and clarity. the nest shots are really super!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 11:34 AM   #8

Nice shots Houston. These guys are quite weary of humans. They will fly off even when they see you coming towards them in the distance.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 9:27 PM   #9

Hey Dad, wish you were back down here. I found 3 more Osprey nests after you left, all that are within closer range than the ones here that you posted and that seem to be much easier to get to.

As for the last pics of the babies that I watch every day, it looks like they are getting close to being ready to take flight. I caught 2 of them on the edge of the nest this morning with their wings spread out. Mother or father was flying just overhead watching them. You would have loved the shot!

Miloburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 10:28 PM   #10

Normcar and Dennis Thanks for looking in. On the nest shot #4, the nest was on top of a pole that was at an entersection where one highway crosses over another one. I was parked on the lower street but I climbed up the bank under the bridge and it put me in a pretty nice spot. Never thought I would be doing things like that. :crazy:

Bobbyz Yea you got that right about being weary of humans. They sure dont want to hang around to have their picture taken.

Miloburger I sure wish they had spread their wings for me when I was there. That would have really made my day.