Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 24, 2005, 11:35 AM   #11

Hi Jake, glad to see you are back and treating us with some more beautiful birds, as this Balt Ibis is trully a beautiful bird and you really captured it well. I've been away for 2 weeks myself. Had a very nice vacation down in Florida to my daughters place in Orlando. I took loads of pics while down there but now it will take a while for me to get them ready to post. BTW I checked out that site you sent me but when I started to try it I ran into a problem. Number 1 was Create a Duplicate Layer and name it Mask. No problem there. Number 2 was Desaturate the Mask layer (Image / adjustments / desaturate. Problem here is I don't have desaturate as a choice. Would it be because I have PS Elements 2. Do you know if I Elements 3 is what I need. If so I will get it.

Regards

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 3:10 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Nice one Jake,

I love Ibis - nothing like being woken by a bunch of hadedahs in your garden at 6am.

And for those of you who've never heard them I really mean there's NOTHING like it. Hadedah is onomatopoeic. It's not just that their cry is loud, hornbills are louder, but it's always struck me as a really funny (haha) sound.

The affection has carried over to Ibis in general, I love the long beaks, and the size seems just right too. Lovely birds - even the bald ones.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 3:54 PM   #13

Quote:
but it's always struck me as a really funny (haha) sound

Hi Craig - we have a pair that breed in our yard most of the year, and we are continually greeted with theis loud "ha-ha-haha", I tend to often look up at them and ask "What're you laughing at ????" - Aaah, the sounds of Africa [does that make your tongue hang low enough??]

Houston, great to have you back, I know what you mean about the processing, I have taken about 25gb worth of pics, and WHAT A JOB to get them completed - but fun anyway.Some that you thought were duds are actually winners, and others that should have been perfect are dustbin material. The fun of it all.

Soon after learning of that "shadow recovery" method that Tom Overton spoke about, I discovered a plugin that does the same thing, the site is here

http://www.fredmiranda.com/software/ The plugin is called SR Pro

and it costs $20. [cheaper thana new program]and does a better job then the manual method, there are 12 levels of shadow recovery that one can set, with adjustable sliders, etc. so i have forgotten the manual method. I think the price is worth it, it also works with Elements 2. Something you can also try is to make a duplicate layer, and with the second layer, set the layer to "screen" to lighten it - which then is adjustable via the opacity slider, or set it to multiply to darken it, also with opacity adjustment. Looking forward to seeing your "stuff"

Regards

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 5:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Last, now, Ihave to get back to the priority stuff
So then you're going to go out and take some more pictures.

Glad you went back and got your camera. You should know better than to leave home without it. That's a sure fire method of ensuring that you will see something worthwhile.

Lovely looking bird.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 8:16 PM   #15

:lol: that is 1 ugly bird but you captured him well :G
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 2:07 AM   #16

Nice photo Jake. Do you get bald ibises in Durban?
Floomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 8:19 AM   #17

Nope, no bald ibis in Durban, unless you take a hadeda and shave it's head. They'reactually quite scarce, their area is very much restricted to the Natal midlands, Lesotho and a little of Mpumulange.

Thanks for looking

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote