Hi Jake

The challenge in photography is to make do, with what you gots...:lol:

So I totally disagree with you...

??
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 4:19 PM   #22
DBB

Ok, here's a rehash of two points

1. The last bird posted by Twisted puppy, in my opinion would have made an interesting photo if done right...

2. When we go out to photograph wildlife, we cannot arrange what we will see. the challenge is to turn the ordinary into an interesting photo....

Certainly, there is the wonder of beholding the unusual, but there is also the technical aspect of the "ART," which can make a boring situation an intersting image.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 4:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Huge improvement twistedpuppy, keep em coming !!
Hi dave - my ?? was to ask what you disagreed with me on, seeing this is all I said
Old May 28, 2005, 4:40 PM   #24
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Huge improvement twistedpuppy, keep em coming !!
Hi dave - my ?? was to ask what you disagreed with me on, seeing this is all I said
AAAAHHHHHHHHRRRGGHHHHHH

My apologies, I was replying to Zoom! With my dial-up connection it takes forever for this topic to load. I misread your name on his post because of the delay....

I am SOOOOOooooooo sorry. It's actually for Zoom!

Dave:lol:
Old May 28, 2005, 11:19 PM   #25

TwistedPuppy,
Nicely done. That is a good reflection and a the bird has more motion to him/her, which adds more life to the shot. You have the right attitude and are having fun. I'll learn in leaps and bounds and in a few months you'll surprise yourself with what you can produce

Zoom, that last heron shot is really nice. Well done! The combo of the expression, good breeding plumage and the attractive background is a winner.

DDB
I guess this is where we differ. I usually go out of my way to get in situations where I don't just have to deal with what is presented to me. I put my self in situations where the light is good and the potential of a good shot will occur. This increases the odds that I have good opportunities. Then my skill takes over and (hopefully) I get the shot. It doesn't always work out that way, but it does often enough that I'm happy.

He didn't ask if in that situation he did a good job, he wanted an opinion of the shot as a picture.

Now, that green heron with the log I posted was a "making do with what was there" shot. I was helping lead a walk for some high school kids, I wasn't out to shoot serious pictures... but I got a good one (at least one I'm happy with.) So it should be said that I don't always go out with a mind towards hard-core photography. I also take opportunity shots. But he wanted my honest opinion, so I gave it to him. Yes, he did well in the situation as it was. And I do agree that the reflection in the last post is quite nice. But with the right encouragement I think he can do better. I'm quite confident of that, in fact.

I think the point about light is a very important one. Most people think pictures are soly about the scene. But it is equaly about the light... but that is a lesson that is often missed. Now, light can be grey or dull or orange from a sunset. It depends on how you use it, but I don't think a lot could be done with this light without going black-and-white or some interesting dual (or maybe tri-) tone effect.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 11:52 PM   #26

Quote:
AAAAHHHHHHHHRRRGGHHHHHH

My apologies, I was replying to Zoom! With my dial-up connection it takes forever for this topic to load. I misread your name on his post because of the delay....

I am SOOOOOooooooo sorry. It's actually for Zoom!

No prob !! - at least I'm in the picture now as to what you were saying :-):-):-)
Old May 29, 2005, 8:16 AM   #27

Twisted puppy are you really shooting in Raw.I thought that is what it said in your exif data. If you are shooting jpeg, disregard all this.

Try shooting in plain old jpeg. I have never used raw. It is just not necessary unless you like spending lots of time at your computer doing the extra processing on photos for a very small return (on a properly exposed photo).

You may be losing something in the translation that is causing your photo to not look quite right.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 9:12 AM   #28
DBB

eric s wrote:
Quote:
TwistedPuppy,
DDB
I guess this is where we differ. I usually go out of my way to get in situations where I don't just have to deal with what is presented to me. I put my self in situations where the light is good and the potential of a good shot will occur. This increases the odds that I have good opportunities. Then my skill takes over and (hopefully) I get the shot. It doesn't always work out that way, but it does often enough that I'm happy.

He didn't ask if in that situation he did a good job, he wanted an opinion of the shot as a picture.

Eric
When I shoot at dawn, the light is great or awful depending on which way I'm facing...:-)

My point, which twisted puppies last picture makes, is that it wasn't a good photograph, BUT could have been. It was a failure of technical skills more than framing OR light. I like that kind of light!

And I belive I demonstate that with my posts.

Now two days ago I went to the beach at dawn, sun going in and out, mixed heavy clouds, bright light, the whole thing changing from moment to moment. Fantastic!

Now I have a bunch of really nice shots, which I will post. But none of these shots includes "intersting things," half were shot in "bad" light.

The challenge is to take advantage of what you have. It's not saying anything to say we have to position ourselves, shoot at the right time, etc, ect.

Photography skills apply in the worst light, framing occurs with any light, maximising the situation IS the art of photography...

I will add one thing. I could, post ONLY my best shots. But I often post "lousy" shots, because they illustrate aspects of the birds or of photography.

Sometimes a failure can be interesting. I'll illustrate this with two pictures of a Yellow Warbler that failed...

dave
Old May 29, 2005, 10:04 AM   #29

Unless you are shooting for a publication or making a living with your photos you should remember that it is after all a hobby. That will certainly mean different things to different people. Don't take yourself too seriously, have some fun. The very worst day I had taking photographs was still fantastic. I have mental images of things I've seen that for one reason or another I was unable to capture with the camera, be it lighting, equipment not ready or just too fast. That doesn't detract from the image of what was viewed that is locked in my memory. My advice is to read, explore and examine others work. This will alloy you to expand the parameters of the hobby to what suits you personally which is different for each of us.

I'm going to share a photo that was done in horendous lighting and a less than optimal angle. That beeing said it is here to share with you what I was able to do with my equipment. You won't see it published in a magazine so see it in the here and now, blown highlights and all.

Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 11:10 AM   #30

DBB,
I guess this is where we differ. I don't believe you demonstrated your point. But maybe that is because we are making tangental points.

I never clamed that taking a picture doesn't involve more than light, just that people don't realize that it is as important as it is. I have taken many well composed pictures (and some bad ones) in bad light of birds that I really like (or new ones to me) that don't get shown to others 'cause I'm not particularly proud of them. But I like them just the same.

I think we've beaten this dead horse a bit long... do we really have anything more to add here? I agree there is a challen in working with what you have. I'd rather arrange is so what I have is very good, allowing my skill to take it further. Different ways of doing the same thing (taking pictures.)

Tomsch... personally, I like that heron. Sure, the highlight is blown, but I like the pose and I'm a fan of that contrasting dark/light blue on the heron's wing. And that is a big turtle on the front of that stick!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote