Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 25, 2005, 11:21 PM   #1

Here are a few shots taken over the past week. All taken with either the 200/1.8 and extender or 400/5.6; flight shots are taken with the 400:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 12:04 AM   #2
djb

hey Norm, stop it!!!!! your making me feel incompetent!!!:G:G:Ggreat shots. I think the common lon is one pretty bird!!!! one day i'm hoping to see and capture one. all my duck in flight shots look like dark bowling pins with wings!!! the raptor is stunning and so sharp!!! the gosling is fantastic!!! i really like the loon but, to me, it is too tightly cropped. are going to start giving us lessons???

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 12:14 AM   #3

The gosling looks fantastic.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 12:26 AM   #4

Thanks dennis, I appreciate your comments. Now why on earth, though, would you wish to capture one of these wonderful creatures? I hope you reconsider and let them alone

I agree fully that the loon is too tight. I did it on purpose because I got a great close up shot of the bird and made the decision to highlight it's features rather than take the entire composition into consideration. Not often do these birds come in so close to shore and I was real happy to see it happen. So it was a decision between the one above or this one below:

I opted for the full body :idea: Compositionally speaking I agree 100% with you, though.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5

All great shots as usual Norm. Top stuff!!....cheers...thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 3:02 PM   #6

Thanks bobby, I can't get enough of them and wish they wouldn't grow up so darned fast. One minute they're peeping and the next they're HONKing.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:12 PM   #7

Some more great shots from a great photographer here norm. They are just beautiful. As far as a favorite it would be a toss up for me between the first one with the redish eye so sharp on the perfectly exposed black head and the raptor that is so amazingly sharp. It couldn't be any sharper if it was sitting still. Really nice stuff.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:20 PM   #8

All great shots, Norm, the kind I (we) have come to expect from you. The loon is terrific, but I have to agree with Houston that the osprey was captured so perfectly!

It looks like the osprey is holding something in its talons - could it be a fish or is it nesting material?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 12:26 AM   #9

Houston wrote:
Quote:
Some more great shots from a great photographer here norm. They are just beautiful. As far as a favorite it would be a toss up for me between the first one with the redish eye so sharp on the perfectly exposed black head and the raptor that is so amazingly sharp. It couldn't be any sharper if it was sitting still. Really nice stuff.

Houston
Thanks Houston. I've been looking at some of your shots after you got that new lens and noted a distinct improvement in your posts. This has cause me to put that lens on the possible list for my purchase of an IS lens (need one for very low light shots handholding). It will probably either be that one or the 300 IS. The only problem with the 100-400 is that I think there may be some slight quality control and it's a toss-up to get a sharp version like the one that you have. I'm hopefully going to do some testing of the 100-400 at my camera store and then I'll make the decision. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test the 300 but I've seen enough from it to be fairly confident of it's ability to both shoot sharp and shoot up close (4.9 feet I believe).
Old May 27, 2005, 12:33 AM   #10

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
All great shots, Norm, the kind I (we) have come to expect from you. The loon is terrific, but I have to agree with Houston that the osprey was captured so perfectly!

It looks like the osprey is holding something in its talons - could it be a fish or is it nesting material?
Thanks geoff. Yes, this Osprey nests in a park about 50 miles down the road and I've been watching it closely, and freezing most weekends too.He occasionally goes out and grabs a twig here and some grass there to line the nest forhisnagging wife. Actually, they get along pretty well and take care of one another. And he eats only the head and tail of hisfish, leaving all of the nutrition for mama, like a good little dad. I believe that she should be hatching in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to that.