Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 25, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1

Very heavy crop. Bunch of them were OOF. 100-400L is not good for flight shots. Wish I could get 300mm f2.8 to go along with 1dMK2. Anyways back to reality.

Then when he came near me. Wish I could use lower angle. This was taken from my car on side of the road.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 1:15 AM   #2

You beat yourself up on the flight shot too much, bobby. I know how fast those things move and you got a very decent rendition of it in flight, right down to it's trademark frantic eyes. Great exposure on the close up too.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 6:54 AM   #3

I have to agree with Normcar. You have a nice shot there. I could only hope to capture detail like you have. Nice job. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4
djb

ditto to the above!!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:20 PM   #5

Hi bobby. If the flight shot is very heavily cropped as you say I don't see that you have anything much to complain about. I have the 100-400L now also and am extremely pleased with it so far although I'm not doing as good as I hope to with the flight shots. But I'm sure my problem is me and not the lens. Your close up ground shot is really good.

Regards

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:23 PM   #6

Bobby, perhaps the 100-400 isn't the greatest for flight shots but your technique appears to be overcoming whatever shortcomings it has. You've done very well with the in-flight killdeer. I wish I could do half as good for birds in flight - I am finding that I just don't do a very good job of tracking...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:54 AM   #7

Thanks everyone.

My problem is that I can track the bird in flight but lots of my shots turn out to be OOF. My shutter speeds are high enough so it can't be camera shake all the time. I think it is AI servo mode on the 10D coupled with slower focussing 100-400L.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:05 PM   #8

I feel your pain on the flight shots. I have a very hard time with the d70 and bigma.

Still 100% better than the fz1 I was using before.

I think these shots are pretty good. The first one is in good focus and you got a nice body position in flight.

You are to hard on yourself, I seem to recall some pretty darn good flight shots from you posted here.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote