Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 26, 2005, 12:36 AM   #1

Yep, it's been a long time since I've last been up here. I miss the old place but too many family issues have prevented me from having much time for anything extracurricular - until last week that is... (yeah!)

Last week we had a spectacular spring thunderstorm with wind and hail. Apparently, a mother mallard with her bunch of ducklings (I think 7 or 8 in all) decided to take refuge in my backyard where I was lucky enough to see them. In fact, I had to open the gate to my yard after the storm so they could get out (makes me wonder how they ever got in if they couldn't figure out how to get out!).

Here's just two of the shots I got.

Canon 20D, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC, 1/200 @ f/5.6 and ISO 100 -- "Wrong Way Corrigan..."

Canon 20D, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC, 1/160 @ f/8 and ISO 200 -- "Using Mom for Protection and Comfort..."

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2

Greetings geoff, nice to see that you haven't dropped off the planet and that you still have that camera and lens, and still know how to use them. Great sharp shots with excellent exposure. I love my 400 for flight shooting and good light stuff, but I'm toying with the idea of grabbing one of those 300 IS lenses for walk around and closer focus stuff, either one of those or the 100-400, since a few both here and at FM are posting some real nice shots with the lens. I trust the primes more for sharpness, though, but the zoom would be very handy if I could get myself a sharp copy. Now I can watch the stuff that you post too :-)so make them as nice as can be to convince me that it's a good buy. You're off to a very good start with these two posts of yours. Real nice stuff, and welcome back. I'm sure that you will be warmly greeted by all.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 8:38 AM   #3
DBB

Nothing cuter than a baby duck, and these images show that off very well!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:13 AM   #4

Welcome back!
Nice to get visitors like that to your yard

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:27 AM   #5

HEY, I was wondering what happened to you:-)Nice cute shots by the way.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6

Hi everyone and thanks for welcoming me back! It has been a very long time, too long. I'll try to be a bit more regular visitor from now on.

Norm - I just love my 300L f4 IS lens! It is my favorite lens and with the 1.4x TC it doesn't seem to lose much clarity at all. It seems to be made for handholding - yes, I do get a percentage of OOF shots but mostly it's my own fault (trying to shoot at too slow of a shutter speed). Funny thing was that I was on a group outing with a few other local photographers and my 300 was the smallest lens among the lenses the group was using - I was suffering some type of envy, that's for sure... :roll:
Old May 26, 2005, 1:19 PM   #7

These are great shots but I'm going to save #1 on my desktop for this week. We have mallards around here too but I have never seen the babies like this. Thanks for sharing.
Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 2:10 PM   #8

Thanks for the compliments Rose...

Also, I appreciate your asking permission first to use my shot on your desktop :roll: . Go ahead, no problem, but if it looks like you can make a profit from it I'll have to know about it...
Old May 26, 2005, 3:01 PM   #9

heyy!
geeoooff!

great to see you got some time for 'fun'

adorable shots man!
vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 5:17 PM   #10
djb

definitely a Welcome Back!!!! nice shots. ducklings and goslings are really cute.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote