Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:23 PM   #21

:roll:Oops! I didn't take notice that you were using a 200/1.8 lens! Yikes, that is really fast and should make even a 20D's (compared to a 1DMkII's)focusing speed and accuracy good enough to get some decent swallow shots. Unfortunately, I don't own a 200/1.8 and my fastest lenses are all f/4 or slower...

But... as you mentioned, zone focus techniques should net me something...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:05 PM   #22
djb

Norm, how close are these with the 200mm??? I've been seriously thinking of getting a 200mm f/2.8. It's a decent length lense for lots of shooting. I do have the sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro but, not sure about the focusing speed. Do you think the Canon 200mm f/2.8 is faster focusing on a 20D?? hmm!!! it's either a 200mm or the mpe-24 macro flash. they're about the same price. hey, help me make a decision!!!!hhheeeelllllllppppppp!!!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:34 PM   #23

Dennis, a macro lens is not noted for it's super fast focus because most macro people will manual focus 99.9% of the time anyway. Macro lenses are not the best bet for shooting a fast flying bird. Your dilemma is easy, get the 200/2.8L, it's a fantastic fast lens. I had one and sold it to get the 200/1.8. However, I did want to keep it and somewhere down the line I'll probably pick up another because it would be a great lens for this sort of up close fast flight capture. It's probably the best bet besides the 200/1.8.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:39 PM   #24
djb

Norm, thanx!! So, i assume the 200mm is much faster focusing than my 100-400mm? i actually am surprised at how fast the 100-400 changes focus in ai servo mode. but, that's about the onlly lense i've used so far.

dennis

p.s. so i should skip the macro flash and go for the 200mm?? sorry if this a little off topic.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:53 PM   #25

I spent the day testing the 100-400 on my Mark II last week and it focuses fast, but it's a zoom and will never surpass a fast prime like the 200/2.8L. The latter lens will be both faster and sharper, even with a 1.4x converter. It is perhaps the most neglected prime lens on the market. I've always got my eye out for a good second hand one and I'm sure that I will eventually have it in my kit again.

Yes, I would definitely forego the macro and choose the 200/2.8L if it's fast focus and up-close flying birds that you wish to shoot well. It will probably perform as well as the 135L that I have and have used for this sort of up close shooting, with great success.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:58 PM   #26
djb

Norm, thanx!!! Too bad as i have the same 2 lenses (135 f/2 and 200 f/2.8) in the FD series. They are excellent glass. unfortunately i can't use them. i may soon decide to get the 200mm and possibly the macrflash too (macros have been more of a passion than avian until i got the 20D and 100-400). thanx again!!!!

dennis