Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 31, 2005, 10:51 PM   #11

Thanks mullen and dennis, I appreciate, as always, your nice words. Yes, dennis, I got heads and wings mixed up. Next thing you know I'll be calling the rwbb a rhbb.:roll:
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:52 PM   #12

VP wrote:
Quote:
Just have been a tough wind. Looks like trying towalk on ice.

That is a pretty bird.
It was a strong wind for sure. I was a bit miffed at the wind until it showed itself for it's advantage, which was this sort of thing.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:54 PM   #13

ride16 wrote:
Quote:
Great pics! I especially like #4. What type of camera/lens are you using, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks for the compliment. For these shots I used the Canon Mark II DSLR and the Sigma 50-500 lens, which served well this day as I needed to do some zooming and the primes just wouldn't have met the demand.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:58 PM   #14

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Great stuff Normcar. I just love watching these guys and I love their call and how they contort their neck around just before.

My favorite is the last shot. You really did a good job on these. YOu caught some great poses.

You must have caught these guys in a good mood. It is weird, sometimes they will let you get close and other days, no way.
Thanks zoomn, it was hilarious watching this particular one. I spent about an hour taking photos of him and I'll be posting more, some of him taking his fill from the dragonfly hatch (a huge one that day). I couldn't have gotten many of the shots that I got that day without the Bigma on the camera. I used it all day long, zooming in and out on a number of different things, including this bird. I think I got lucky with this one as I happened upon his favorite dragonfly hunting area and he wasn't going to leave...and I wasn't going to leave...so we both just decided to tolerate one another for awhile. :G
Old May 31, 2005, 11:17 PM   #15

One of my favorites, Norm, and you do the species great justice. The last one is the one I gravitate to as the pose and clarity is terrific. The first one is almost as good but in a more standard pose.

You know, the great shots that you and zoomn are getting with that Bigma is making me think that maybe I'll get one too, perhaps sooner rather than later. My 300mm prime L lens is great but having the extra 200mm + zoom sounds great. It lacks the IS and is slower but heck, on sunny days it looks like it can't be beat!

Were you using a TC also for these shots?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:22 AM   #16

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
One of my favorites, Norm, and you do the species great justice. The last one is the one I gravitate to as the pose and clarity is terrific. The first one is almost as good but in a more standard pose.

You know, the great shots that you and zoomn are getting with that Bigma is making me think that maybe I'll get one too, perhaps sooner rather than later. My 300mm prime L lens is great but having the extra 200mm + zoom sounds great. It lacks the IS and is slower but heck, on sunny days it looks like it can't be beat!

Were you using a TC also for these shots?
Thanks geoff, this one bird was my entertainment for the entire afternoon and he wasn't disappointing.

Re: BIGMA - I didn't use an extender on the Bigma because that's not what I personally use it for. I never put extenders on zooms, no matter what they are, because the results are just not usually that acceptable IMO (and I stress, IMO), and I use a zoom for flexibility and not distance so much. That's why I love the 50-500, because it affords good reach without extenders, and at both ends of the spectrum. This same day I threw an extension tube (not to be mistaken for a tele-extender)on the Bigma and got the photo below, the thing that the blackbird was feasting on. I highly recommend using this lens with a monopod or a tripod, though. I use it the correct way now, with a monopod, whereas before I was using it handheld, getting decent shots but not the sort that I'm getting now on a monopod. However, half of the shots above are handheld sore arm shots because I had to hold the lens for 2 or3 minutes at a time, then relax. Eventually I got the monopod, but some of the above shots are the handheld ones.Here's what came from the other end of the lens with the extension tube on monopod:

Attached Images

Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:29 AM   #17

Here's the bird that I shot zoomed out, and I don't believe that those shots above are at maximum 500mm zoomed in either. So you can see the advantage of zooming in and out that far in one second.

Attached Images

Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:36 AM   #18

Just one more shot of the same bird zoomed in, probably max. By the way, geoff, I just bought a 300/4 IS at FM and it should be in my hands in a few weeks. Now my kit is complete...except for...

Attached Images

Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:10 AM   #19

Great shots Norm. Redwing Blackbirds, grackles, and cowbirds have been
a problem for me. Eventually I'll get it figured out. (I hope)
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:42 AM   #20

Just hillarious. I can see you laughing all the time while shooting these. The 5th one down is my favorite although they're all excellent. As always, I reallyenjoy seeing your stuff Norm.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote